Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Delete ..\lastgood.tmp\ folders 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcbugfixer

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
AU
Hi Folks.

In my Win XP Pro, had to fix nVidia driver problem. this meant booting up in Safe Mode" when this failed, I booted to Last Known Good.
Then fixed nVidia OK, however since then, XP boots to CHKDSK screen every time and re boots by itself to XP OK. system works fine other than this problem.
Now on witch hunt, I found the C:\windows\lastgood.tmp\system32\drivers folder structure.
Problem is that it will not open the "drivers" folder and it will not allow me to delete the folder or structure. TELLS ME THAT "drivers" folder is not empty.
Now when I boot to NTFS from floppy utility or CD, I can get to the folder and "drivers" does not contain any files (del *.* = no files) and I still cannot delete the folder structure.

ANY ONE KNOW THE ANSWER PLEASE - DELETE THE FOLDERS ???
This may then fix the CHKDSK problem ???

"NTFS with CHKDISK bit, (446)"
? ? is the reason why it does this every time, but then re-boots OK.

Not sure if deleting folders/files is the solution or not. But if you go down that path you might have to change attributes on files from hidden or from system to non system just to get to them. See the Attrib command.

Some things to check out.

316506 - Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer

You Receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" Message After Every Restart (Q317277)
The fix in this might work for Chkdsk.

thread751-239387

Description of Enhanced Chkdsk, Autochk, and Chkntfs Tools in Windows 2000 and Later (Q218461)

I'm with linney on this one. XP is protecting you from yourself. You're probably not set up to see everything. I take it that when you say booting from floppy or CD you mean to recovery console. Recovery console is limited to what you can do. This is an example of one of the reasons I like to set the boot partition to FAT or FAT32. I suppose you've done scandisk and defrag, although its hard to see how they would help this specific problem. You might try restoring system files from within XP. I'm a bit of a newbee myself with XP, so my memory is not real clear on the actual command to do this. You might like to set a restore point and back up the registry, even image the drive, before you fix it to the point where it no longer works at all.

Warnings in place, here we go. There is a utility in the reskit to delete a file when you reboot. There are also freeware utilities which are more user friendly. The basic idea is you mark a file for removal and when the machine reboots it zaps it before XP can protect it.

If you wait a couple of days the whole quetion may be moot, as at some point your current configuration will become your Last Known Good.

Microsoft technical support is an option. You might like to search the knowledge base for your specific error message. How about running chkdsk from within XP?

When you say booting up in Safe Mode failed, I'm not too sure what you mean. If you turned off the machine in the middle of a write to the hard drive, you may have goofed up a bit of the hard drive. Thus the recommendations to run scandisk, chkdsk and defrag in XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back