Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Delete Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

RH610

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
Windows2000Pro:

In Windows Explorer (and in Word and Excel 'open' dialog boxes) when right-click a file and select "delete", the delete box comes up but just hangs. Files can be deleted fine by dragging to recycle bin.

Thank You

On local filestore files, or on network shares?

Corrupted recycle bin index, perhaps?

Go to Start/Run and type in CMD:

Type CD \RECYCLED, and then press ENTER.
Type ATTRIB -r -s -h info2, and then press ENTER.
Type DEL INFO2, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: This deletes the damaged INFO2 file. Windows will recreate this file as needed, automatically.

Source: Kelly Theriot

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a c:\recycled directory. I do have a c:\recycler directory. The is no info2 file anywhere on the machine.

Note: Files delete fine by dragging to recycle bin.

Thanks Again

You have Norton AV installed, it renames the recycle bin.

See if by right-clicking the Recycle Bin icon you can clear all the Norton protected files, and general recycler cache.

Then reboot. And test.

Do you happen to have GoBack installed?

Well, McAfee Anti-Virus, at any rate. Right-Clicking the Recycle Bin doesn't bring up much of a menu at all; certainly nothing about protected files or cache.

Thank You

The is no info2 file anywhere on the machine."

Have you tried to view hidden files? Notice the post by bcastner that directs you to remove the "hidden" attribute of info2. If you find it, definitely remove all the other attributes as suggested before deleting. I don't expect you to be able to delete it if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back