Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot delete files on xp network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

laserman

Technical User
Mar 13, 2002
US
I have a user who deletes files on her home drive.. She will not get any error message but the file is still there after deleting. The next day the file is USUALLY gone.. this has me stumped.. anyone have any ideas?

Are they gone if you look from the server?
Are they gone if you look at the directory from another workstation?

YEs, they are gone from server view.. NOW another twist.. she has two drives that are affected. P =home drive and s= a shared drive...
if i log on her pc, i also cannot delete my p(home) drive files..if i log on pc as admin and then connect to her p drive using her login, i can delete..so I took ownership of her p (home) drive and this fixed the problem, although she was already listed as owner.. now for the shared drive..I had another user (who has full control priviledges) log on the first users pc and she also could not delete files..but she could from her pc...I was told by a network admin that this could be a problem with her (sid?) which I understand the the name of her pc..the only problem Ihave with this is that its the same pc name her old pc had before the problem started. the only difference is that her new pc (3 months old) is running xp... any help isj appreciated..thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back