Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot delete file

Status
Not open for further replies.

danofre

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
A user dragged an email from outlook onto her desktop. It was saved as a *.msg file. The title of the document is over 256 charachters. When you right click to rename an explorer.exe error is generated. When you try to copy, cut, delete, etc. an explorer.exe error os generated. Any ideas how to get rid of the file?

Have you tried same in safe mode?

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

No, its a VP computer so i tried not to stay in there too long. I will try safe mode. I tried connecting through explorer and my PC does not generate errors when i try to rename or delete the file. It just doesnt do it.

Do you have enough rights for that file?

============================
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

It is not a rights issue. I am domain admin as well as local admin.

Is the doc itself over 256 characters, or is it over 256 including the path? Try this: in Explorer, drag the file to the root of the partition it is on, and then try to delete. This works when the file (including path) is over 256

The document name is longer than 256. I would have copied and pasted the name but when i go to right click and properties it says "the properties for this item are unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back