Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Create Partition installing NW6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jardows

MIS
Jul 11, 2002
US
I'm installing NW6 on a test machine. Machine is an Athlon 1.2Ghz, 512MB RAM, 40 Gig IDE drive, Asus A7V-E motherboard. I go through the intall process, and when it is ready to create the SYS partition, I get a message "MM_CreatePartition failed with code17. (nwconfig-6-653)" What's wrong?

The electronically delivered license is sent inside a folder. The folder contains other files and also the folder labeled "License". Remove the entire contents of the folder that was downloaded , and put the contents, including the "license" folder, at the Root of the floppy. This is the directory structure which the install is expecting.

I haven't gotten to the license part yet. It won't even create a partition. Besides, my licenses are on a floppy, not downloaded.

Try replacing the AMD chip with an Intel chip.

NetWare is not tested on AMD and Novell does not support AMD.

It could also be a faulty hard drive

Can't find much else on this error on NTS Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Enigeer

Why do user go into a panic when a NetWare server goes down, but accept it as normal when a Windows server goes down?

I don't believe it is faulty hardware, per se. I have been able to sucessfully load Netware 4.2 on the system without any problems.

I have the sam problem. I have 11 testmachines. (Amd XP1800+, seagate 40Gb disk).

I try to install Netware 6 eval english. Out of 11 machine 2 works fine.

The other 9 machine stops at the same point under installation. It stops exactly between the creation of the Sys volume and when the Installationprogram will start copy file to the sys volume.

When i reboot the machine and looks at the partition i can se th netware partition.

When the installation stops i can give commands at the temporary server prompt. When i try to mount the sys volume i get the "message bad superblock try to rebuild". But when i try to rebuild that command doesnt work.

Så it isn´t so bat, 2 out of 11, thats Novell Netware 6.

I am not a pro at the Novell netware 6, but i really want to know whats wrong. I dont think Hardware incombability is the answer, there must be a workaround this problem. Because it works at some "macines".

My problems are solved.

Yes it works fine to install Netware 6 on AMD Xp 1800+.

But the problem is this during the installation. When you use a UDMA-conductor cabel. Netware wont run with my disks 40gB Seagate (maybe combability problems with Ide-channel).

So when i switched the new cabel with an old standard Ata cabel, all 11 machines work fine to install.

So even if Novell netware 6 is very new NOS, it only work with "slow" disk or what?

(It works fine with Netware 5 with "fast" cabel)

Thats all folks!

It seems that i am talking to myself, but who cares. Latest news from my "solved" problem. I switched my 40Gb seagate disk with a 40 Gb IBM disk and i use a UDMA conductor cable. This works. :)

So the problem seems to be the Seagate disk.

So i think my discussion, in this trhead is over by now.

I'll try some of the things you mentioned. I'm using a Western Digital drive. Maybe some of the logic on the disks with UDMA not agreeing with Netware?

I am having the same issue with my test server.

Works fine with a 40Gb 5200rpm Maxtor drive, I changed the drive for a Western Digital 40GB Special Edition 7200rpm drive and cant get Netware 6 installed.

I will try changing the cable as recommended, wierd problem isnt it.

Regards

Please notify if it works fine with "old" ide cabel, and your maxtor hd.

/Ronnie

roek,

Yep it works fine with the old cable, I did notice that the drive detects as ata 33 not ata 100.

Netware 6 installed with no problems when connected with the std cable instead of udma. I then tried to connect the drive up with the udma cable and start netware but it failed with all sorts of redirected blocks on the drive.

Regards

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back