Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot create new website in Win XP Pro/IIS 5.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahchong

Programmer
Aug 10, 2003
MU
Hi

I'm trying to host multiple websites on a single computer. My problem here is that I can't get started because I don't even get the NEW option when i right-click Web site in IIS.

I'm testing this on Win XP Pro SP2/IIS 5.1 before eventually moving to Win 2k3 Server/IIS 6.0

Is it a problem with win XP?

Thanks
Jeff

2k Pro and XP pro only allow 1 website to be created. The server versions allow unlimited virtual sites.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks.. :) I have to find a 2k server for my tests then

If you want to continue using your XP machine, why not get hold of a copy of Apache if its just a webserver you need?

Unless you need purely ISS of course.

Robert Bentley

SynergyworksHosting.co.uk
"reliable services at realistic prices

The company I work for uses IIS already, and there's too much implication to shift to apache webserver (lot of things to move and application to install again + i doubt it that the app will use the apache webserver as default)

Thanks for suggestion though :)

I'm led to believe by a friend that you can install IIS on Windows XP so it can have multiple websites.

The way he did it was when Windows XP asks for the Windows Disk to install IIS6, he gave it Windows Server 2003's disk!
With IIS5 on Win 2000 he gave it Win 2000 Servers disk.

I know if you've got a server disk to do this you may as well run the full blown server, but it was just an interesting point.

Robert Bentley

SynergyworksHosting.co.uk
"reliable services at realistic prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back