Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot create array serveraid 6M IBM X345

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diman1212

Technical User
Aug 7, 2009
US
Hello,

I installed a serveraid 6M card along with 3 x 146gb hitachi ultra320 scsi harddrives. I updated the card bios and firmware to 7.12. When I boot into the serverraid manager all my drives in standby mode, and i cannot create an array. Could anyone please point me into the right direction?

Found this on the STANDBY state:
SBY Standby ... ?

A standby drive is a hard disk drive that the RAID adapter has spun down. Devices such as tape drives and CD-ROM drives are also considered to be in a standby state. Only the IBM ServeRAID Adapter has the state.

Try RIGHT clicking on each drive and telling it something like "make active" or "enable" something similar. Then after doing that for each drive, see if you can add them to the array.

Try booting from the Serveraid CD if you haven't already done so and doing/trying things from there.

The only options are properties, identify and hints and tips when I right click them.

Have you tried getting the CD for your server that updates the firmware on the Hard Drives to see if it makes a difference?? Maybe the firmware on the controller is too far ahead of that on the drives.

There's nothing when you boot from the Serveraid CD and right click similar to what I said?

There may me a problem with both controller and harddrives. I put in 18gb IBM harddrives without the raid card and everything was fine, I could creat array with raid 1 and hot spare. With the raid card those drives are also in standby state. With the 146gb harddrives I cannot do anything even without the raid card. The built in controller downgrades them to disfunctional. Thin Im just gonna exchange them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back