Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot copy NTLDR to a floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred69

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
CA
Hi
I made little changes to my partitions and now I can't boot windows xp. The problem is that the system files needed to boot xp (ntldr, boot.ini) were located on a second partition with Windows 98. This FAT partition was the "Active" partition and at this time the boot.ini file was there for giving me the menu for choosing between XP and 98.

Actually the FAT WIN98 partition is deleted. And the xp system files also by the way.. This is my mistake.

Now I just want to do something that should be pretty easy but that's not. I just want to copy the NTLDR file from my other PC and transfer it to a floppy. It impossible! Even if i remove the hidden or system attribut. It said :"Impossible de répondre a votre demande, pour cause de probleme avec le périphérique d'entrée sortie". In english it means cannot do what you asked for because of a problem with your I/O periphical. It do this each time I try on any floppy disk and from any source for the file, like Windows CD or C: drive.

Where can I find this file?? And what about the SP2 version? Is it the exact same file?

I also tried to copy this file in dos mode, same problem.
And what about the repair option when booting on the Windows CD? Will be a good thing to repair my updated sp2 xp partition with my original xp cd (no SP at all)?

Wahou and finally could copy the file and his friends to a floppy BUT READ THIS: When I boot with it, my XP now starts, tries to log in (with the little sound) and then do the sound when he logout, so he do this he loop!!! it login logout login logout login logout, all the time in loop! So the pc can't show me my desktop, it only shows the booting of xp and then when the mouse is loaded and the second windows logo appears on the blue background: it login logout in loop.

I think the NTDLR version is the problem. Its a SP1 version. So how can I find a SP2 NTDLR & Ntdetect.com File??

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back