Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot copy file: data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMax

Technical User
Dec 22, 2001
US
When trying to copy large files from C to H, I get this error message and then Win Explorer freezes. I am using Win XP, have no other problems and the files (videos) play perfectly from C. They just can't be moved! Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. CHKDSK says all is well.

did you just run a basic check?

I would run a thurough scandisk on both drives, sounds like bad sectors.

~Shmoes

I lay claim to nothing and everything. My words may be wisdom or disaster. In the end you make a choice. Noone is perfect.

What is H? Do you have that many devices in your computer or is this a network drive? The first thing that 'redundancy' makes me think of is raid. Could this be a network server with a raid setup?

Is H a virtual CD Rom drive created by Nero, or Alcohol 120 or something similar, like Daemon Tools? If it is try using your burnder software to burn to the virtual CD just as if it was a physical drive with a real CD in place.

A CRC is a usually a hard sector error, a read verify failed on the source or a read after write sequence on the target. Schedule a scanndisk session for all drives for the next boot and then reboot, My Computer, point at Drive C, right-click Tools, check the drive.

Thank you all for your interest. I should have clarified. H is another fixed hard drive on a Promise TX 100 card (raid). However, the same exact result occurs when trying to copy to another drive on the LAN. It only occurs on files over 50mb. Small files copy fine. This problem only began occuring in the past few days after a year of success. The computer and the C drive are rock stable on all other applications and operations.

p.s. The H drive copys to the LAN drive perfectly well on files of all sizes including those exceeding 250 mb.

Thank you again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Check for new drivers.

Also see your event log. You want to look for ULTRA driver errors that may indicate a problem with the disk.

bcastner:

Thanks for the tip. I had no new drivers and you didn't specify what area of the event log you wanted me to look. The only place I could find something close was the "system" event log (as opposed to "application" or "security." I found no "ULTRA" drive errors but plenty of drive errors. The dates match my experience. The error message is as follows: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

Is there anything I can do to repair it?

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back