Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot copy a large file from a server to my XP pc 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pileyrei

MIS
Oct 3, 2003
GB
Hi!

Can anyone help me?

On my work pc I connect via a mapped drive to a server share. I copy and paste a large file (650MB) from the share to my pc. About halfway through it times out! I have tried several times but it always times out with an error:

"Unable to copy FILE X from Server X. Thespecified network name is no longer available".

It works fine from any other pc!

Any ideas?

Pileyrei

Have a look at this thread.

thread779-748409

Thanks, Spool
A small amount of help is better than none at all.

Hiya

The patch applied has not resolved the proble, what a pain!

Can anyone else help me?

Pileyrei

Sounds like a network card/driver issue. Look at upgrading the driver or replacing the card.
Joe

Hi scudzuki

The network card is built in so I cant really replace it. The drivers are up to date too.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks

Pileyrei

Several were referring to my earlier notes on the problem. Which if you have done, it sound like you have a high collision rate issue.

This is a particular problem with adapters set at high Speed/Full Duplex settings, and this discussion summarized by Daniel Petri may help:
My two other thoughts:

. if this is a video file, in particular an .mpg or .avi file, there are issues specific to those file types. Please advise for further advice;

. if the destination drive is restricted on free size, this can explain the issue as well. If FAT32 remember that an NTFS filestore is essentially unlimited on the size of an individual file, but a FAT32 filestore cannot handle a file larger than 4 gig, and usually dies with a copy operation around 3.2 gigs.

Ho bcastner

Thanks very much for the help so far.

The file is actually a data file with an .iso extension. The problem happens for any large file though.

The pc is a Dell Optiplex Desktop (brand new) with a built in NIC. All partitions are NTFS. I have tried changing the network card speed from Auto detect to Full duplex, did not work.

The funny thing is ......I took the problematic pc to my desk (other side of the building) and connected it to our network. I was able to copy and paste the file with no problem! Then, I took my pc to the problematic pc's location (using same lan cable) and tried copying the file.
It worked fine!! ??

I was starting to think that it was a network issue but now I'm not so sure.

Pileyrei

Cable or wall jack issue.
You have done everything that can be done to ensure it is not a software/OS issue.

Redo the wall jack.
Replace the cable.

RESOLVED:

PC Was in a HUB which could not handle the load.
Connected directly to switch, all ok.

Pileyrei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back