Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect WinME and WinXP PCs together on network 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

multiplex77

Programmer
Dec 25, 2001
SG

I have 2 PCs, one running WinME and another running WinXP home edition.

I have tried unsuccessfully to network them together. They are connected through a router. When I open the network path to access the other PC, I get the message

\\ComputerName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. COntact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

Could someone please help? THanks very much.

Having a similar problem with trying to map drives from ME to Win2000Pro "server". It was working 2 days ago, but now it's not. Symptom is that I am prompted for a password, but the password isn't accepted. I don't even see where to set a password on Win2000Pro.

I don't seem to have the stacksize problem.

There is user on the "server" that matches the user on the ME machine, but this definitely looks like an authentication problem.

Other users (XP) can map to the Win2000 "server" with no problem.

Thanks for any ideas!

-=david=-

to set a User Password in Win2k Then go to Contorl Panel and click on users then u should be able to set a password 4 ur user's

My problem was not in setting user passwords, I was being prompted for a share password.

I fixed this problem by deleteing and then recreating the user at the "server".

So all is well!

Thanks!

-=david=-

i am having kinda a similar issue...but when i boot up both machine i get network cable unplugged.. i tried another cable and even tried the cable on 2 xp boxs.. which worked...both boxes can ping 127.0.0.1 and thier own ips...any ideas?

ok so i reinstalled me box net driver...now have connection but pc's cannot see each other..no firewalls all drives shared file and printersharing, netbeui, netbios enabled..no netbeui on xp...i am lost....

ok so now they see each other but i cannot access any drives on the ME machine (stupid me had the wrong ip in the me machine)xp sees the pc but says has no permissions to access this pc call you network provider

Just my two cents here since i have seen this solution mentioned so many times. The idea that XP needs to have all ME user accounts recorded is not completely true. While XP does seem more willing to share when you do this, it is not a tried and true solution. I have seen ME systems work fine without the user id and I have seen ME work fine with the id one day then not work the next. The problem appears to lie with ME. I recently did a clean install of ME on a new drive and instantly accessed XP while using a non-passworded Windows login. I repeated this process and got the same results. Then sometime later, following other software installs, the access was lost.
So before you decide to deploy this solution over a large scale, keep in mind that the problem may possibly lie somewhere else. Also keep in mind that, if you enforce frequent password changes, you will need to synchronize the changes on each XP machine as well.

DnR - low costs; high service.

Hi. Are the two harddrives in question both set up to share? If they are not, you will not be able to access them. If the harddrives are shared, are they either read-only, or password protected? Those are the two basics that I can come up with. If these are not the issues, feel free to let me know at jef03275@yahoo.com and we can discuss how the network was set up(software) and make sure it has been done right. My roommate and I have been successful at networking these os's together already. Hope this helps.
Jeff and John

rrascal

wot software did u install that made it lose the connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back