Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect WinME and WinXP PCs together on network 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

multiplex77

Programmer
Dec 25, 2001
SG

I have 2 PCs, one running WinME and another running WinXP home edition.

I have tried unsuccessfully to network them together. They are connected through a router. When I open the network path to access the other PC, I get the message

\\ComputerName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. COntact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

Could someone please help? THanks very much.

have you enabled sharing for your drives/files/folder/printers on both comps. That will help

After you enable sharing on both computers don't forget to actually make a folder or drive shared. Also you might want to make sure the XP firewall is off.

Goo Luck
Stealer

Thanks ockerb and Stealer for your tips.

Yes I have enabled sharing on the drives, and they are shared. In fact the folders of both the ME and XP computer are listed when I view them from a third computer. I can open the folder for the ME computer, but I can't open the folder for the XP computer.

I haven't heard abt the XP firewall before. Could you explain the steps I need to take to disable the XP firewall. Is this an in-built Windows XP thing, or a third party software?

Thanks so much for the help.

To turn off the XP firewall.

1 Right click on "My Network Places" on your desktop and click on Properties.

2. Right click on the "Local Area Connection" and click on Properties.

3.Click the "Advanced tab" at the top and uncheck the box that says "Internet Connection Firewall"

Hope this helps.
Stealer

I managed to turn off the firewall, but it's still the same.

When I try to access my WinME PC from the Xp computer, I get the message:

\\WinME_PC\c is not accessible. Not enough memory is available. Quit some programs.

But then again, I am able to access another WinME PC on the same network. I don't have any programs running that are eating up memory, so i don't understand why.

Thanks for the help.

Well, just an update on my situation...

I found out that my WinME was still running a firewall, so when I disabled it, I was able to access the files (and a shared printer) on the WinME from the WinXP. However, I still can't access the files on the WinXP from the WinME. I've double-checked that the firewall is turned off, but still doesn't work.

Hope someone could help, because it's still a problem.

Thanks!

Hi
I had a similar problem with a W98 network connecting to a XP Pro machine. The W98 machines giving the error:
"\\PC\c is not accessible. Not enough memory is available. Quit some programs."

I also found that if you tried to access the share from the XP PC itself through My Network Places you got the error:
"Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

Looking up that XP error gave me the solution to fix it...
It can be a problem on the XP machine with IRPStackSize

Regedit the XP machine
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Services
\lanmanserver
\parameters

Change the IRPStackSize parameter. Some discussion threads say set the IRPStackSize parameter to 15, some say 0. The Microsoft article mentions increasing by 3… (0 and increasing by 3 to a value of 15 both worked for me) Remember to use decimal!
This appears to have been a problem in NT as well...

If this doesn't work, Norton Antivirus has a similar error listed (might be something else to follow up on!?)

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)

Hope this helps!

This might sound simple, but nobody seems to have addressed it... Have you created the user account from your ME box on your XP home machine? Whatever user name you are logging in as on ME, must exist on the XP machine. Go to the XP box, Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools. Go to Computer Management, Users and Groups. Go to Users, and create the same username/password as is on the ME box. I haven't done much work with XP Home (its useless in the business enviornment), but I assume the security is the same as 2000/XP Pro.

Matt

I have the same problem but with a twist. I have 6 computers, 2 XP Pro, 2 XP Home, 2 ME. One Xp Home (XPH 1)is the gateway to the internet and all XP computers can get to the internet. No problems with files sharing between XP computer either.
Now my problem lies with the ME computers. They can see and access the XP computers but not XPH 1. Infact I can't even see it when I view the workgroup.
I really don't want to move the gateway do to it being the primary computer for games. And yes looking at getting a router too. Not loading XP on the two me computer either because they are too slow. But it does not explain why I can't even see it.
I can ping, and tracert XPH 1 from the ME computers. Also the Subnet mask is set the same on all(255.255.255.0).
I made sure today there was a user name for each ME computer in XPH 1.

Forgot I tried the network setup wizard and it will not run on the ME computers.

Any ideas? Been trying to fix this for months now.

paveway [machinegun]

Looking for help check the FAQ's first then do a search then ask. Worked for me.

Reemul's June 5, 2003, solution worked for me a couple evenings ago. A neighbor had installed Norton Personal Firewall 2003 on his XP (Home Edition) and ME PCs. I think this was coincidental.

Same symptoms: ME files accessible from XP but not the other way. The Norton Firewall looked correctly configured, but even disabling it on both PCs had no effect (and yes, the MS XP firewall was already disabled).

When I found this thread, I checked the other symptom Reemul mentioned ("Not enough server storage...") on the XP, and sure enough that happened, too.

I changed the IRPStackSize in the registry from 11 to 0 on the XP, rebooted, and instantly the files could be accessed from the ME system.

Now I'm curious what the IRPStackSize is. My pure guess is that it's a server LAN networking limit for info that gets saved on a stack, and maybe installing the Firewall software nudged it just over that limit (even when disabled). Zero probably makes it unlimited. Again, just a guess.

I don't know if it'll help the problem pavewayammo's having, but it's easy enough to tweak the registry on the XP and give it a try. Remember to reboot after changing the value, too.

ladies and gentleman i have the same problem i can not connect winme and winxp on my home network i read through this forum and did everything listed in this forum but maybe i am still missing something can someone help me

Had similar problem with ME not accessing XP pro instead of netbeui installed IPX/SPX on both. On the ME box enable netbios over IPX/SPX. Did the trick. Don't forget IPX/SPX requries a network address setting which must be the same on all PCs. Left frame setting to auto

Forgot to mention you must ensure you logon to ME with an account which has also been setup on XP pro.

I have the same problem I will give the things in this forum a try.

I dont log-on to the win Me or XP comps It just loads up windows and brings up the desktop and every thing with out a user name or password.

would this give me any problems with win me not seeing win xp?

Just for the record, I changed the IRPStackThingy to 50 on the XP machine and it worked.

Thanks to Reemul and CamaroLT the problem I have been having is now fixed. I changed the IRPStackThingy to 50 on the XP machine as well and it worked.

Big thumbs [2thumbsup] up to you guys. This problem [bomb] is 2 years old. I will not miss it either.

paveway [machinegun]

Looking for help check the FAQ's first then do a search then ask. Worked for me.

I changed the IRPStack to 0 on the XP Pc And it still not working I am goin to try changin it to 50 an let u know how it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back