Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to using TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericbrown

MIS
Jan 28, 1999
US
I am able to ping myself but no other hosts on the network, my hosts file contains the name and IP of the default gateway but I cannot ping it directly.

Check your network configuration using ifconfig and see if eth0 has been started, if it is, check the ip-address....

Also make sure your routes are setup right - can you send off the output of route -n? What IPs are you using?

You might also check to see that you're network mask is correct. If you are subnetting, it can throw things off.

If your using a 3c509 or a similiar card you may have to manually configure the card to run on the ethernet port. By getting a configuration utility from 3com you will be able to check the default configuration...

Hate to point out the obvious, but do you get a link light (if the NIC has one) when you plug into your network jack or hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back