Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to the domain -- HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosee

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2001
US
I have a computer with Windows XP pro in the office. The computer is set up to connect to LAN. It worked fine for about a year. Now, it could not connect to main domain.

This is the error message: "Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailabe, or because your computer account was not found .......".

I have checked our main network. Everything seems working fine. At this time, this is the only computer has received error message. All other computers are OK to connect the main domain. How to resolve this? Any ideas? Thanks.

I would suggest removing the computer from the domain, restarting the PC and joining the domain again. This has fixed things for me in the past

I would remove the computer from active directory, and then re-add it.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

I am not familar with the procedure on how to delete a computer from the domain or from active director. How could I do that? Thanks for your help.

Hi, on XP when you remove a machine from a domain, the computer account is automatically deleted. So do as shatch wrote.

Hope this helps. Please let know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

in Active Directory, goto the OU that lists your computername in it.

Delete it.

Then click on Action -> New -> Computer

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

This happened to me when I was bringing up a new BDC in an NT network and the new server was faster. People were trying to authenticate to the new server but the sync had not been done. Disconnect the server from the network until it is ready to deploy.

I have the same problem, a PC on a LAN, Win2003 servers. Keeps on dropping off the domain. I have added the PC to a workgroup and re-added it to the domain twice before - worked fine for a few weeks then, only to drop off again. Any advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back