Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot connect to sql view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpreston

MIS
Mar 4, 2015
GB
Hi

I am using ODBC to connect to a view in our SQL server. After I have selected the view I am getting the following error message

"CUST.ID is not a valid name. make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that it is not to long"

If I click OK it then gives me some options to link with none of which have anything to do with the view I want to import. It then links something which is not the view I want and usually a total different name.

How do I get around the error message in the first place. Any ideas please

Thanks

CUST.ID follows, like in access, a tablename.columnname syntax.

If that is the name of a column in your view, the wizard may not be able to deal with the field name. You could change it in the view to perhaps CUST_ID and it may work then... or at least move along to the next issue.

Agree. Use underscore, or alias the column name in the view to something that follows syntax rules.

Beir bua agus beannacht!

Hi

The CUST.ID is the alias name but understand what you mean, renamed is here so it exported into CSV through SSIS easier with the naming convention expected. I will change it and see if things are ok afterwards. I get back with the result

Thanks for the reply's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back