Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeisaT

Technical User
Nov 30, 2005
LS
I'm a novice when it comes to the administration and maitenance of MS SQL Server databases. Just out of blue, My laptop installation gave me this error message when trying to connect to my Server to create more databases. Also as a result of this error, any software that is using MS SQL fails to open.

"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)"

I tried the Help guide that is suggested but was not successful.

Please Help!

Rgds,
SeisaT

this error may suggest that the problem is that the server don't allow remote connections (By default on SQL Express, for example)

To configure the server to allow remote connections, try this:
Open the surface area configuration tool of SQL Server 2005
On the surface configuration window select change computer (or something like that) in the surface configuration for localhost (select the server computer)
Click on "surface configuration for services and connections"
On the new window select remote connections on the left treeview.
Check local and remote connections and select the allowed protocols

Hope it helps!!

Hi,

Maybe it will be a bit too vague answer..But I would suggest you to check one main thing for this....
Try taking the configuration manager of your SQL Server and then enable the TCP/IP.
Start Program files->Microsoft SQL Server 2005->Configuration Tools->SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Inside this tool select the SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration and under that select Protocols for MSSQLServer. On the right tab select the TCP/IP and set it to enable. Then try login to ur server.

Maybe this would help you.

Thanks,
AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back