Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaoboda

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
I have a branch office that has several PCs running XP. They have hardcoded IPs provided by the ISP and they use the Internet to VPN back to our offices here. We have a primary VPN server (Running 2003 Enterprise) and a backup (Running 2000 Advanced Server, soon to be 2003 Enterprise).

1. When the computer is not connected to the VPN, with just the ISP hardcoded IP, I am able to connect to the PC via Remote Desktop just fine.

2. When the computer is connected to the Backup VPN, thus getting a local IP, I am able to connect to the PC via Remote Desktop just fine.

BUT

3. When the computer is connected to the Primary VPN, thus getting a local IP, I am unable to connect to the PC via Remote Desktop.

Has anyone had similar experience or know why this occurs? Is there a setting in Windows 2003 that needs to be changed to allow for access?

Please help!

Okay.

Further testing shows that I can VNC or Remote Desktop to the machine when connected to the 2003 VPN, but only from the VPN server itself.

However, I can VPN/Remote Desktop to the machine from any machine on my network when connected to the 2000 VPN box.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back