Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to owa 2003 from internet... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

garmo

Technical User
Oct 8, 2002
US
New server 2003 sbs. Email works fine. Website works fine.

I can access OWA from internal network but not externel network. I know is must be something simple but am not seeing it. does not work. My server name is 'exchange' so if I type I get to OWA just fine and everthing works. I put this link on my website and it works internally but not externally. Please help....

I also unistalled share point services but that didn't help, since i am not using them anyway.

Assuming that your Exchange server IP that is hosting the OWA data resolves to www, it sounds like a firewall problem. If the DNS name for your Exchange server is "exchange" as it seems to be if you're able to type in a browser and it works (the machine will automatically map it's own hostname to itself in a browser), then what you should be entering when outside your network is
When you say that it doesn't work from outside, what exactly is it doing? Does it say page not found, or permissions error, or does it try to display something but isn't complete. The exact error is needed in order to pin down exactly where your problem lies. So far I'd say it's either that you're simply not entering the address correctly in a browser, or your DNS isn't setup quite right, or you have a firewall issue. These are all guesses until you specify the exact error.

A recent patch for an issue with Sharepoint services (Microsoft Hotfix Q832880) seemed to result in me having to run the Windows SBS 2003 Email and Internet Configuration Wizard again. AFter running this my OWA became available externally. Hope this helps others too.

Sorry, forgot to mention what happens, it simply states page not found.

I will try the wizard again. I will go ahead and give up the site. It is Hope this helps....I've tried every combo for the naming and also the ip address. No worky....

Oh yes and I have at one point exposed the server through the firewall and that didn't make any difference. Before we had W2K server and Exchange 5.5 and had no issues with OWA. Nothing on the firewall has changed. Mail and website is forwarding correctly to the server.

I have the same problem.
We installed Exchange 2003 and enabled OWA while my laptop was at IBM being repaired. So I was using a replscement HP laptop and OWA worked a treat.
My IBM came back and I can only access OWA from within the internal network. When I login through my Broadband connection at home it says..

Cannot find server or DNS Error

I have never been able to access OWA on this machine.
I have reinstalled IE and trawled through the security settings and XP updates but nothing seems to help.

I am now tearing my head out. Please help?

Try flushing the DNS cache on the portable.

Go to a DOS prompt and type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back