Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Okay - I've got a Lenovo ThinkCentre A520 that will not connect to the wireless in this house. Windows 8.1 64bit
- The wifi adapter is a RTL8188CUS
- No ethernet cable run nearby to test a wired connection
- All other wireless devices are NOT having a problem connecting so I don't think it's anything other than local to this PC.
- I reset the IP stack, updated the driver, did a system restore to before recent updates, windows network troubleshooter.
- It did work for a few minutes after the updated driver, but then a reboot and it wouldn't work.
- There were some windows updates installed at that reboot.

So then I disabled the built-in wifi card and installed a Netgear WNDA-3100 USB adapter. That one connected right away but then it says "no internet" after a while though still connected to the wifi.

I don't know what to do at this point. I have zero confidence that a total reload or refresh of Windows 8 would do it.
Any wild-a$$ suggestions?
Any recent windows updates knows to mess up wireless connectivity?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Haven't done the 8 stuff but XP & 7 experience would lead to setting DNS manually at the start of the diagnostic process.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I noticed that one of the updates just installed on 1/14/2015 was KB2919355. That was put out last April/May and it was known to cause people some problems, not to mention errors getting it installed at all. I am going to roll that back via system restore and see what happens.

So now - two questions:
1. Anyone know if KB2919355 would cause wireless issues.
2. Why would an update from April just get installed now? That is really confusing.

Had the update been Hidden in the past? Had it been uninstalled recently?

Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update: April 2014

A KB2919355 Update offered again after it's already been installed a couple of months ago

Win update KB2919355 recd again, already was installed

How to fix limited or no connectivity Wi-Fi issues in Windows 8

Even with KB2919355 removed via system restore the RTL8188CUS cannot connect to the access point.

The USB Netgear adapter connects fine but drops its connection after a short period of time (anywhere from a few seconds to 20 minutes). The network connection will change to limited, without internet access. If I run the network troubleshooter, I always get the message that the default gateway is not available, which has been fixed by resetting the wi-fi adapter. And internet works again.

Something is just wrong with this machine to have two wireless adapter that won't cooperate.
There is NO BIOS update.
I'm dieing here. Customer is getting frustrated. Need a brilliant idea.

Something silly isn't happening like it trying to switch to a proxy server or Airplane mode is getting turned on?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Something silly isn't happening like it trying to switch to a proxy server or Airplane mode is getting turned on?
I have no idea what's going - silly or profound or whatever. I want as many suggestions as you can give me because I'm heading back over there today at 10:00 a.m. Eastern time.

It wouldn't have airplane mode as it's an all-in-one desktop.

Linney - somehow I missed your post.

Had the update been Hidden in the past? Had it been uninstalled recently?
It showed as being installed back in late April/Early May 2014 but it reinstalled on Friday 1/16 again!! It was never uninstalled until I did so on Sunday 1/19 just to see if removing it would help.

I had found that Vonnie page and was going to try that, but the other network card (built-in) just won't connect period. Never mind "limited connectivity". It just says "cannot connect". I just don't know if I'm chasing multiple problems or one.

Yes, I tried that but what eventually got it to work was enabling some different options on the adapter. But then another round of windows updates failed and the PC was just in a worse state, so I think it's time for a reload. Cutting my losses. Thanks to all.

I should also have mentioned that after deleting the adapter and reinstalling it, it took longer to pop up with "can't connect to network" and so I looked in the event viewer, which I should have done sooner!!!!!!!!!

Turns out the WLAN AutoConfig utility would start and then do an error 10000 - failed to start. Now why this started happening is another issue.
Link

That coupled with the failed windows updates and I just decided to nuke the machine, like putting down an old horse.

Ok. Just heard from the customer that a Windows 8 REFRESH completed late last night and still cannot connect to wireless network. Is it time to start suspecting the wireless access point? I KNOW it's time for me to get an anxiety attack.

The access point is a Luxul XAP-1032 with latest firmware. I was going to try a couple of my old routers just to see if it can connect to ANY wifi signal at all. That would be bizarre if the Luxul couldn't play nice with this RTL8188CUS card out of all the combinations in the world!

As I had said, there are about 15 other wireless devices in the house from Sonos to HP printers to iphones to TVs that are NOT having a problem with the access point.

So, I know everyone is sick of this thread but..... I took an old Netgear router and set up a different SSID on it with the same security and the problem computer connected to it just fine. It just has to be an interoperability problem between these two devices - Realtek RTL8188CUS and that Luxul XAP-1032 access point.

Lucky me to have found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back