Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to network applications thru the VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhills

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
US
Users can log into our VPN but can't run any applications or connect to databases using ODBC connections. I'm wondering is there some simple setting were missing? has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

Can the clients communicate with the hosts otherwise? (ping, etc.?)

Yes, I can ping and can browse to the server. I found one problem with SQL 2000, the dynamic IP address from the vpn wasn't binding to the sql server, I upgraded service pack which corrected that. The sql server is on a different subnet than the vpn concentrator, from the main network I can connect to this server no problem, coming in thru the vpn to the main network I can't open anything on the subnet, I can see it but when I try to connect I get a network path can't be found message.

Thanks for your reply!

Hi,

It really depends on the VPN configuration. I see this problem with one of my customers. They use a lot of SQL databases, and sitting on the main network it works fine, but either on a VPN or different part of the network (behind the firewall), it doesn't. This is because SQL does not like NAT (Network Address Translation) too much.

The only way really to solve it is to check your Firewall config. The VPN part can be set up on different ways. I would suspect you have setup the VPN using the standard 'IPSec over UDP'. If you set it up using 'IPSec over TCP' you can fix a TCP port for the VPN user to connect to.

Hope it helps.

Daz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back