Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to MySQL - Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopacfan

Programmer
Oct 30, 2000
US
I just set up a Windows 2003 web server. This is a 32bit version of Windows. I've installed the latest version of MySql since I could not find my older version. I've installed the 5.2.5 odbc drivers. In my asp application this is my connection string:

strConn = "Driver = {MySQL ODBC 5.2 Driver}; Server=; Database=xxxxxxxxx; uid=xxxxx; pwd=xxxxxx; "
set objConn = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
objConn.Open strConn

The error returned is: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

I've tried 5.2a, 5.2w, 5.2.5... I cannot figure out how to get this working. It works fine on my previous server, but this is driving me insane.

Thanks,
MN

Michael Netherton
Responder Public Safety Equipment

I suppose your problem is this:
Code:
Server=;
You have not specified a server.
Try instead:
Code:
Server=localhost;

Cheers,
MakeItSo

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

MIS, yes, I had tried that as well. I finally just gave up and installed the 3.5.1 drivers and everything works fine. The 5.2.5 drivers are just a major PITA !

Thanks,
MN

Michael Netherton
Responder Public Safety Equipment

Start/Admin Tools/Data Sources

Check the names given to the datasources. Is MySQL there. If it isn't, it is not going to pick it up, whatever you do. If it is, what is it called? Is it different from what you're calling it?

If it is not there, you may have to add it. Adding data sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back