Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot connect to master server...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pct3ch

MIS
Feb 3, 2003
US
Well, this is what happened. I was using NetBackup Administration about a week ago and today I try to open the Activity Monitor and I get the error "Cannot connect to Master server". Can anyone give me some advise? How do I check if my master server has my client name on it's server list?
Thanks!

Option: configure Netbackup. Option: Clients

These Options can be found on the NETBACKUP admin GUI.
Goto Start CONFIGURE NETBACKUP. (ie 3.4.1 ga

A few things - The most likely cause, considering it was working ... Open your "Backup/Archive/Restore" utility on your computer - Under specify netbackup machines - Make sure that the master is the first in the list. I often see this being changed.

Assuming your master is some flavour of Windows - I find the registry easier as you can access it remotely - HKLM/Software/Veritas/Netbackup/CurrentVersion/Config - The value "Servers" should have your desktop name in - That gives you the security access.

The Master server is running Solaris 8. My box is running win2k. I made sure that the master is the first in the list but I'm still getting the error message.

I have no experience with solaris so how would I access the registry? How would I get to that path?

I also tried going to START on the netbackup gui but there is no CONFIGURE NETBACKUP option. I am running 3.1.4 GA.

*UPDATE*

I checked the bp.conf on the master server and my desktop comp name is listed as one of the servers. If it's already listed, what could be the problem?

On Solaris there is no registry - Everything is contained in files such as the bp.conf. Can you ping your desktop from the Solaris box and vice-versa?

What name resolution do you get = FQDN's and case? Do the cases match or not? This sounds like a typical DNS resolution issue. If not using DNS - Do you have both computers in the HOSTS file?

Yes, I can ping my desktop from solaris and vice-versa.

What is FQDN? Can you elaborate on this please?

Yes, we are running DNS. I checked the IP and hostnames and they match.

Do you think rebooting the solaris system could solve the problem. I have never rebooted the system. Can you tell me the command to reboot remotely? Also, will I have to do anything after rebooting (login, start a service,etc)?

I rebooted the solaris systems and I can connect to it. Thanks for your help PGPhantom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back