Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to mapped drive from Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

highlysceptical

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
GB
I have a laptop (running Windows 98) that has recently started refusing to connect to mapped drives on our Windows XP server.

When I try to connect, I get prompted to supply a password, and then I get the message

The password is incorrect. Try again.

I can connect to the same mapped drives using the same logon information from XP machines, so I know the logon details are correct.

I have tried creating a new user profile on the laptop, but it makes no difference.

Can anyone help - I am getting desperate!

Andrew

Can you clarify - this was working?

The standard solution to access XP Pro machines with simplified sharing disabled from 98 is to create an account on each XP machine which has the same credentials (username/password) as are used to logon to 98 machine.

The 98 machine needs client for microsoft windows installed (and preferable as its primary logon) and you need to supply those credentials to it (not escape out for example).

If these conditions are being met on your network, please post back with more details of when the logon stopped working and any changes you've made to any machine on the network (hardware/software/settings). If they're not, obviously set it up as described.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The trouble is that it is my daughter's laptop, so I do not actually know when the problem arose - she just kept on using it without telling me.

She has an account set up on the XP Pro machine (although it does not appear on the login screen as we use it purely as a server), and we are using the same username and password(so the credentials are correct).

Client for Microsoft Windows is installed on the laptop, and we log on by supplying the password (we both have a user profile on the laptop)

Because I do not know when the problem arose, I have no idea what changes have occurred since them. Were you thinking of anything in particular?

I'd make sure the user account set up on the XP machine is correct by resetting its password on the XP machine to what its supposed to be. Also check the account hasn't become disabled.

The error message you are getting usually happens when the 98 logon details don't match an account on the XP machine (and there's no 'correct' password in this situation, you just can't connect). So the obvious thing is either the credentials being supplied to the 98 machine have changed or the user account on the XP machine has changed. So just make sure they really are both the same.

Alternatively, you could enable simplified sharing on the XP machine - which does away with the need for the matching user credentials (but not knowing your whole network setup or the security you want to enforce, its just a suggestion).
As I've never heard of the password problem when the user credentials are properly matched, I suspect checking them will resolve the problem, and you won't need to look elsewhere.

Thanks again.

As you say, I don't want to enable simplified sharing, as I am trying to keep our network secure.

I will try what you suggest as soon as I get a chance - probably tomorrow evening. But I am puzzled by what you say. If I can connect using these details from any XP machine on our network, does this not prove that the credentials are correct, and that the account (on the XP machine) has not become disabled?

But as I say, I will try anyway - I am clutching at straws, so I will give anything a go!

If everything really is in order, just try creating a new XP account and log on to 98 machine with its credentials (as a test of the 98/XP interface). I've avoided suggesting removing and reinstalling networking on the 98 machine (standard practice when 98 has network connectivity issues), because you've obviously got connectivity or you wouldn't get the bad password message. But, if all is as it should be, and the new 'test' account doesn't work, I would suggest trying that.

Thanks for the various suggestions.

In the end, I deleted the user profile (on the 98 laptop), then manually deleted the residual files on the hard disk, rebooted and recreated the user profile on the 98 machine - and it worked!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back