Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to FTP site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenOne

Programmer
Jan 11, 2003
US
I am using XP Home, I don't see a forum for Home so I'm posting this question here.
I'm having trouble connecting to an ftp site which I previously was able to connect to.
This is the message that I get from IE:
"Windows cannot access the folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder. Details: The operation timed out."

I am using Windows firewall. If I turn off the firewall I am able to connect to the ftp site. I tried creating a firewall exception for ports 20, 21, and 22, using both the TCP and UDP options. It didn't help.

I downloaded an ftp client filezilla, it can not connect either.

what is the FTP address....
have you tried pinging the IP or DNS name to see if is alive?
If it is alive try connecting to it without the directory structure....

Any connection log details might help if you post them

Thanks for replying.

I am able to ping the site even with my firewall on.
I know the site is alive because I can get to it when my firewall is off.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "try connecting to it without the directory structure".
When I connect I use ftp.sitename.com (no subdirectory).
Sorry I don't want to post the URL of the site.
It is not mine, and I don't want to attract attention to it.

No problems about posting Address....
What client is it you are using?
Try this - within the properties of the connection you have made through your FTP Client find the setting that relates to Passive mode.... ensure this is ticked (checked)

I'm using fileZilla(2.2.10) it is freeware, I got it from sourceforge.net, it was recomended to me by 2 people.
I set it to use passive mode. It works when the firewall is off, but not when it is on.

Open IE
Tools
Internet options
Advance Tab
Under Broswing there should be an option Use Passive FTP (for firewalls etc) CHECK IT

Also ensure that filezillais added to the EXCEPTIONS within the firewall.... first try it with the ports also excepted and if not try removing them from the exceptions.

running out of ideas :(

Yes, I have the passive setting checked in IE.
I also added FileZilla as an exception to my firewall, with and without the ports in the exception list.
It still doesn't work.
I can't believe this.
Am I the only one who can't connect to an ftp site from Windows XP Home?

A ping response in this circumstance tells you nothing.
The windows message says that you do not have permissions to view the FTP folder requested.

FTP is working under XP Home, the FTP site is not. "The operation timed out." This could be a temporary server problem at the site, or a permissions issue; my guess is the former as there are alternative error messages for permissions that are more likely, but this is a guess.

You could download one of the many FTP clients out there -- do a Google search on "xp ftp client software". Test with a trial version of something that seems interesting.

I've been fighting this problem for about a week now.
Every time that I turn off my firewall, I am able to connect to the ftp site. Wouldn't this indicate the the ftp site is ok, and that I have permission to connect?
I did download an FTP client FileZilla. I don't recall if it was specifically for XP, I'll check.

If XP Home SP1, I think you are going to have problems. If XP Home SP2 you have a fighting chance:

. enable UPnP on the client
. make a program exception in the XP SP2 firewall for FTP

It clearly is a firewall issue.

Ok, I confirmed that I have SP2.
I enabled UPnP in my firewall's exception list.
UPnP had 2 items listed, I think they are ports, they were:
TCP 2869
UDP 1900
I set the scope of both of them to "Any computer".
I have an exception for FileZilla in my firewall.
Tried it and it doesn't work.
FileZilla lets you specify a port, I tried both 2869 and 1900, with no success.
I tried IE while UPnP was enabled in my firewall's exception list, it didn't work either.

UPnP is picking up the ports, but you need to make a program exception for FileZilla.

This tells the firewall that the program may open ports that are not explicitly defined; and moreover, closes the ports when you exit the program.

Thanks, the link was helpful.
I am trying a different ftp client which is said to work from behind a firewall, FlashFXP.

I'm having the same exact problem with Filezilla. I tried the FlashFXP and it has the same problem. It didn't used to be this way so I'm sure one of the windows updates caused this. It's like windows firewall is ignoring the exceptions.

Let me know if you find a solution will ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back