Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Connect to EMC FC4500 DPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waqashaq

Technical User
Dec 3, 2007
US
Hi, I just bought an EMC FC4500 DPE with 10 x 18GB Hard Drives, I have it connected to a Brocade Silkworm 2400 Switch.

The Problem is, i am not able to connect to the DPE through the Serial Port. I am now so i dont know if i need any EMC Software. Only the Grren light is on(the amber light is off) in the back of the DPE.

The setting i used in the terminal connection were
19.2k-1-8

Also, I can see the DPE Through my Switch, which says it is recieving the light and the DPE is online.

Please let me know if u will need any more info.

Thanks

It needs to be a null modem cable for the connection.
96-8-1-No parity ( someone could have changed it to 19.2 but 9600 should work). If the Clariion is up already, you will probably not see anything without entering a special key sequence. I don't recommend doing that for a production machine. Even without the key sequence, when you are powering on, you'll see some initial licensing screens before control is transferred to the SP. (Assuming cables and settings are correct of course). If you are setting up, you should get a copy of Navisphere. You can set up in serial mode but it does tend to be less user friendly and it is slow. With Navisphere, you could set up via the network port on the Storage Processor and the experience will be much more palatable.

Hi, sorry for the Late update on this.

i am still stuck with this unit. i can go to the brocade Swtich and see that the SPs are connected to the switch. It says they are online just the same as before. Unfortunately, i do not have access to navisphere and i have not been able to find it anywhere, but i got a hold of NAVICLI and EMC visual SAN softwares. I have no idea how to use Navicli, but when i start up VisualSAN, it shows me 2 arrays (the ones that i have turned on) But i cannot see any disk Information on those arrays.
I have also repeatedly tried connecting using the NULL Cable and i still cannot connect to the SPs. Again, everything is green, all the drives light and the Storage processor lights in the Back. The only thing that seems to be functioning improperly is the Battery......

i dont care about the data of the arrays, just learning rite now.
i can even give remote access if some1 is willing to help.
please Let me know if you need more information.

thanks Maultier, that helped.

i was able to start and connect to the SP. Everything seems to be working fine. I have another question, how would i assign the Sp an IP address?

thank again for all the help.

Your set up is no doubt different than mine. I have a Navisphere workstation that I used to connect to 4 different sp's. So, I just edit a text file for each sys and sp and leave them on the navisphere desktop. When I want to look at sys1 spa, I move my n/w connection to that sp and I click on my sys1spa.bat file and then start the agent. Once the agent has started, I bring up Navisphere. You'll find the MAC address on each SP (lower right hand side).
so the command in the file is something like arp -s 00.00.08.ab.cd.ef 192.168.1.100. Of course the pc has to be on the same subnet. Just substitute your ip and MAC addresses. And the agent.config file will need to reference the ip you're using on the sp for navisphere to work.

i currently do not have navisphere, I will hopefully have it next week.

I am trying to access the SPs through a Brocade Silkworm 2400 Switch. I can see the Switch and the Arrays in EMC VisualSAN. Do i have to do some special Configuration in the switch or on the SP?

I also got a hold of an Application called OPSTOR 5. It claims to be a SAN management Utility. I was able to see the Switch in their console but cannot access the SP or the disks.

Sorry for so many questions, (i didnt even know what emc was a month ago)....

Thanks

Also, I check your other posts and checked my Flare Version just for the sake of it... Here is the info..

fcli> sp
SP A LOOP ID 0x0 (0.)
PROM Revision: 1.05 Microcode Revision: 06.31.02
Statistics Logging: DISABLED PEER SP: PRESENT
Disk Write Caching: DISABLED R3 Write Buffering: DISABLED
WRITE CACHE: DISABLED READ CACHE: ENABLED
RAID OPTIMIZED: Mixed LUNs SP TYPE: ALPINE
LUN REMAPPING: DISABLED
A: DP 00% TOTAL 25830 DIRTY 0000
B: TOTAL 25831
U: DP 00% TOTAL 0000
Requests Complete: 2
SPS A: --
SPS B: --

Press any key to continue....

slot : 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | PSA PSB FAN
DPE-state: ENA RDY RDY RDY RDY RDY RDY RDY RDY REM | OK OK OK OK
Unit/Group : U01 U00 U00 U00 U00 U00 U00 U00 U00 |

12/29/2007 01:56:36

Flare with a major number of '6' indicates that access logix is included as part of the flare code. That is what enables access to a san environment. In order to have the array commicate on the san, units have to be added to the 'Storage Group' along with the associated hosts on the Clariion. HBA's will need to have their wwn's (world wide name) registered on the Clariion. Navisphere will be a big help in setting those items up.

In order to get write caching enabled, you are going to need at least one functioning sps. That will dramatically improve clariion performance. Also, you should designate one disk as a hot spare ( normally the disk in the last position). It appears that that disk is owned by SP-B as part of an 8 disk raid 0 or 5 arrangement.

ok, i think i am figuring this out a little bit, still have a long way to go. i was wondering how to get a hold of a license for WEBTOOLs for a borcade switch. is the license expensive? I just thing it would be easier with the webtools enable.. can i buy a brocade switch with webtools that already is enabled? Also i bought my copy of navisphere off ebay, will it work?(it is sealed).

I was also trying to configure my HBA card (its an intel 1gb fc card) how do i do that? it keeps looking for ethernet connection.

Thanks for all ur help maultier.

I just connected to another brocade switch that came with this and it aparently has everything. here r the setting that is was able to get.

Switch Information Report for switch1

List of Switches
Switch ID Worldwide Name Enet IP Addr FC IP Addr Name
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: fffc01 10:00:00:60:69:20:1c:5b 192.168.1.23 192.168.2.24 >"switch1"

Ethernet IP Address: 192.168.1.23
Ethernet Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Fibre Channel IP Address: 192.168.2.24
Fibre Channel Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1

Kernel: 5.3.1
Fabric OS: a2.2.1a
Made on: Fri Aug 25 15:47:31 PDT 2000
Flash: Fri Aug 25 15:47:58 PDT 2000
BootProm: Thu Jun 17 15:20:39 PDT 1999

List of Inter-Switch Links
Local Domain ID: 1

Local Port Domain Remote Port State
-------------------------------------------------------

List of Ports
switchName: switch1
switchType: 3.4
switchState: Online
switchRole: Principal
switchDomain: 1
switchId: fffc01
switchWwn: 10:00:00:60:69:20:1c:5b
switchBeacon: ON
port 0: -- No_Module
port 1: id Online F-Port 20:00:00:60:16:3f:a9:71
port 2: -- No_Module
port 3: id No_Sync
port 4: -- No_Module
port 5: -- No_Module
port 6: -- No_Module
port 7: -- No_Module

Name Server
1 Nx_Port in the Fabric {
}

The Local Name Server has 1 entry {
Type Pid COS PortName NodeName TTL(sec)
N 011100; 3;20:00:00:60:16:3f:a9:71;20:00:00:60:16:3f:a9:71; na
FC4s: FCP [DGC C5300WDR3 HP02]
Fabric Port Name: 20:01:00:60:69:20:1c:5b
}

Zoning Information
Defined configuration:
cfg: clariion1
dafilesrv1; damail2; damail1; damail3
zone: dafilesrv1
2,0; 2,7
zone: damail1 2,4; 2,7
zone: damail2 2,2; 2,7
zone: damail3 2,5; 2,7
alias: 1,1; 1,2; 1,3; 1,4; 1,5; 1,6; 1,7

Effective configuration:
cfg: clariion1
zone: dafilesrv1
zone: damail1 2,4
zone: damail2 2,2
zone: damail3 2,5

GBIC Serial ID Information
port 0: --
port 1: id (sw) Vendor: FINISAR CORP. Serial No: 134283
port 2: --
port 3: id (sw) Vendor: FINISAR CORP. Serial No: 133934
port 4: --
port 5: --
port 6: --
port 7: --

I have not heard of an Intel fibre disk controller for Clariions. It's usually Emulex controllers but I have seen Qlogic as well. I don't believe EMC ever qualified an Intel controller so, I doubt that things would work properly. It may be that the Intel card you have is just a fibre NIC.
Navisphere has several revisions so it would depend on what you bought. All you need for a FC4500 is version 4.3 or 5.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back