Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to Database Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

sennister

MIS
Sep 10, 2010
US
Not sure that this is in the right place but this is the only SQL area I could find on this site. I have been trying to figure this one out now for a couple days.

SQL: SQL 2008 Standard. fully patched

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State :11

State 11 = Valid login but server access failure

What I am doing: I log into the server locally and attempt to open a connection to the database engine using SQL Server Management Studio. When I try and make the connection I am using the local server name and Windows Authentication. When I try this the connection fails. If I attempt to connect to another database engine (remote server) it connects fine. If I log into a remote server and attempt to connect to the database engine on the server giving me issues I can connect fine using the same credentials.

If I were to guess, the issue is that the server is refusing the loopback connection. This is Server 2008R2 and I know that there were some changes for security reasons. This is a test server so I am not too concerned about security threats. The odd thing is that we have 5 other servers that are Server 2008R2 and SQL 2008 just like this one and none of these have this issue with the loopback connection.

I had come across a similar loopback issue like this before with another product and Server 2008R2 and I was able to resolve it by adding the following to the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"DisableLoopbackCheck"=dword:00000001

In this case it didn't resolve the issue.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

I assume you can ping the server and software firewalls have been available?

Does anything show up in the Server logs or the SQL logs?

Simi

The windows firewalls have been disabled. There is no network firewall as I am trying to connect to the locally running database engine. As for error messages. The one that I mentioned in the original post is what is being logged in SQL

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State :11

Along with this one in SQL:

Login failed for user "domain account" Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error.

Nothing worth mentioning in the Event log for the server. The only thing logged has to do with mapping printers through the terminal services connection. This is logged when we log into any server like this so not part of the problem.

Grrrr, got it figured out...

UAC was enabled on the server. I thought it was off. I did a right click, run as administrator on the icon for SQL Server Management Studio and it works fine.

I think I will shut off UAC.

Thanks to those that read the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back