Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot connect to clients after readdressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

griff79

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
GB
I have changed the IP addresses of my NT servers.

After the change my legato server cannot backup its clients.

I have 2 problems.

1st: the server cannot connect to or backup clients unless I put the addresses in the hosts file. I've never had to do this before. WINS and DNS are updated with the new addresses. From the server I can ping the new addresses and they resolve correctly.

2nd: With the addresses in the host file, the backups run for most of the clients, but 2 cleints still do not connect. They have an "All connections timed out" error.

Server NT4
Legato 6.1.4

NetWorker just uses a utility called 'gethostbyname'. It translates a hostnname to the used IP address. You can even use the ipaddress instead of the client or server name - it will work. If the entry in the hosts file is necessary, it looks like the name resoulution does not work properly.

Do not forget reverse name resolution. It must work as well.

Does a manual backup work at all? - If you have problems here, i would not even try an automatic backup at all.

I have lately experienced this same problem and it's very frustrating for me. Unfortunately I too have had to resort to using hosts file entries ... feels kind of like Windows-For-Workgroups again ;)

Let me know if you get resolution to this problem? I've fought with it for some time now.

This server is in a data centre with other servers that use DNS and WINS and nothing else is having any problems. Reverse names are used in DNS.
Using ping and nslookup etc from the server would seem to prove that its able to resolve addresses and host names and full names correctly.
I've even put the IP addresses as alias names and this has made no difference either.

The only thing that has changed in this infrastructure is that the IP addresses for all servers have been changed.

My main problem is that 2 of the clients refuse to connect even when the addresses are in the host file, so I dont even have a work around for them.

hi,

Did you check the client's host file, they might still have the old backup server's ip address.

The host file was empty.

The only way I could get the server to connect to the clients was to populate it with the new addresses. Something which wasnt needed before readdressing.

I had the same problem, and my conclusion is that there are many things to check with Windows:
- host file and lmhost file empty on the Nw server
- ping <client> from the Nw server (short AND long name)
- nslookup <client> from the Nw server
(check reverse adress for short AND long name)
- host file and lmhost file empty on the Nw client
- ping <server> from the Nw client (short AND long name)
- nslookup <server> from the Nw client
(check reverse adress for short AND long name)
If the DNS is updated, don't forget to flush the cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back