Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect Outlook client to exchange server! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raid99

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2003
US
I have just setup a new exchange server, after a reinstall from a failed installation. I had issues with global address lists but installing the post sp3 fixes corrected the issue.

When I try to setup an Outlook client and click on check name, it responds with "The name could not be resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list".

OWA is working just fine, BTW.

Details:
Windows 2000 advanced server
Exchange 2000 enterprise edition (SP3 + post SP3)
Outlook 2002
On an active directory domain of 28 DC's.

Can you connect using the IP address of the exchange server instead of the host name of that server in the Outlook Exchange connector?

Sounds like a DNS (name resolution) error.

Cheers.

Thanks for replying...

I tried connecting using the IP address, same issue. 8(

Raid99

The name you put in the user field is their actual log in name. It will change to their display name from excahnge once it is found.

Mike

I am having this same problem. It seems to stem from a global catalog failer, i am trying to fix it and will report more if i am successful.

Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Mine ended up being a global cat server issue as well.

I had the same problem once. I resolved the problem by applying a fix taken from Microsoft MCSE Training kit for Exchange 2000. You need to edit the Registry of the Exchange 2000 server to statically reference the global catolog server. In the Registry, go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\System\CurrentControlSet
\Services
\MSExchangeSA
\Parameters

Add the value "NSPI Target Server" (type REG_SZ) and set it to the name of the global catalog server.

This may not be the ideal method, as it makes your system less resilient if you have multiple global catolog servers.

doomhamur

Thanks for the answer. I will keep this in mind. I have not seen this issue so thanks. Mine was user name I was trying to use did not match the one I created.

Mike

Another solution to resolve this problem is to execute the following 2 commands on the E2k Server - IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS and IPCONFIG/REGISTERDNS. Check the Event Viewer after 15mins. If it reports one of the global catalog servers needs to be rebooted, simply reboot that GCS.

This worked for me. You can find other solutions from MS knowledgebase under E2k by searching for "global catalog server"

Ok, i got mine fixed, here is what did it.

I use this as a guide
I followed the directions from the KB for my second DC to promote it to a Global Catalog server

I then demoted the first DC from a being a catalog server (AD sites and services ->servername->ntds->properties->checkbox)

Rebooted first server and waited an hour.

I followed the directions from the KB for my fist DC to
promote it back to a Global Catalog server

Rebooted and waited an 3 hours

my outlook clients started working

it took 3 tries and about 12 hours to figure out the time lapses involved. Apparantly it takes quite a bit of time for all the clients to be able to see the new global catalog servers and without full access the outlook clients will not connect to the exchange server.

My goal was to fix it without making static entries in the DC's.

Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Dear,

I have the same situation, I tried to re install TCP/IP,
MS outlook but still fail. I use Outlook express to check mail,And use MS Outlook from another PC to checkname it is OK. Please help me. I don't understand what happend with MS outlook.

hi

I am manjula, I am having a problem in exchange 2000 server, when windows 2000 server boot up ,some services related to exchange not starting,
ex: Microsoft exchange information store , MTA stack, ..
then i have to manualy start those services, what could be the solution for this

udalamatta,

Check out the below thread. Sounds like you have a dependancy issue.

thread858-607891

Just a tip...

It probably would have been best to create a new thread related to you issue.

Goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back