Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot connect a share, but server is pinging... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwood78

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
DE
jepp, that's my problem...
i've got a server, and sometimes I can not connect to a share and the users cannot login,
but I can ping it and I can connect on it with a terminal client session... When I reboot it,
it is OK for the next few days...

Does anyone know, what here can be the problem?

No messages in the eventlogs
W2K SP2 DC/Print/Files (OneManShow)

hi ,
Do u have a dns server , if yes try to put it in all the clients , or configure a lmhost file .

regards
Anup

the dhcp-server is distributing the dns-informations...

thx
elwood_78

Can you set a machine up with a dedicated IP and see if the problem still exists? Also, follow anupnellip's advice. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

Hi GlenJohnson,
I think not, that's a problem with dns or dhcp.
when I try to connect a share, I become no error-message.

We think, that's a problem with the afd.sys (Q296265). We want to make the update this afternoon, and hope, that the problem is solved...

thank you
elwood_78

hello again,
ok, it was not the afd.sys...

when the server is hanging, I cannot to connect to a share from itself... but I can connect to a share from another server.

so, any ideas?

thanks...
elwood_78

Still wonder about the earlier lmhosts idea. Have you checked the clients for old lmhosts files? I use hosts and lmhosts on all clients. Is the server itself hanging, or just the clients trying to connect to the share. Is the problem the server, or clients? A friend of mine told me a long time ago, you gotta think like a computer. [talk] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"There is nothing like a dream to create the future."
Victor Hugo (1802-1885); French writer.

If all of your clients are W2K systems, you shouldn't need to worry about WINS or LMHOSTS files, and if you have DNS set up functionally, and DHCP seems to be working reliably, HOSTS only adds unneeded complexity.

When you sit down at a client command-line and type "net view \\servername" what happens? Do you get an error 53, or some other error?

Pinging a server verifies basic connectivity, but it's not quite the same type of connectivity that a system would use to map a drive or access shares over the network. The 'net' commands all use the same protocol (SMB or CIFS) as does accessing a share, so they are the best testing tool for you. You are also more likely to get a useful error message from the command-line if you are patient enough to wait for it to arrive.

This should help you determine definitively whether the issue is related to name resolution, or whether it has to do with something in your Server service stack getting bolluxed.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back