Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot conenct to internet, but can connect to network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddy1234

Technical User
Jan 10, 2007
Hope you can help.
We have a small motel. Two front desk computers are on the network but cannot connect to internet/e-mail. Run Windows 98se. All other connections at the motel are fine. Winipcfg is fine and I can ping the router. I have released all and renewed all in winipcfg. I am set to assign IP address automatically.
Please help.

Hi

Sound like your IP traffic is not getting beyond your router, you need to confirm the settings on the router that it is conecting to the internet provider sucessfully. There is usually a link light on the router that designates that a link has been established etc.
Your workstations setup sounds OK as they have an ip address and communicate with each other and the router so now you need to find why you can not get to the internet - have a look thru the router manual or alternatively most some more info on here so we can give you some more detailed explanation of what might be causing your problem. Most often I found that it is a username password type problem and often results in a call to the ISP.

Regards

David

Is your account set up for a static IP? If it is DHCP, then the lease on your IP might not have gotten automatically renewed by the ISP.

The best way to solve that is to powercycle the router. Just make sure you give it 15-30 downtime to clear it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
It is easier for an intellegent person to "play dumb" than for an unintellegent person to "play smart". - gbaughma

Print the results of ipconfig /all here

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Check for a firewall and if you have one disable it and test connectivity.
I would also check to ensure no proxy settings have been setup.

Internet Options
Connections
LAN Settings
make sure no boxes are checked.

I am having a similar problem. My copy of nic1394.sys seems to be corrupted or linked permanently to Norton Antivirus.
I removed Norton and when I rebooted my computer my access to the wireless network was gone. My driver for my network adapter is apparently screwed up. I have kept plugging away which has probably corrupted more and more stuff as I go along. I can't seem to replace nic1394.sys with an updated file.

you can ping the the router through it's ip address but can you resolve names?

try "nslookup
check if DNS is also configured though DHCP...

CU
G.

There are MANY possible causes of this problem. Without a little more information, it will be difficult to determine the specific cause. If you could please provide us with the IP Configuration of the workstation and the IP configuration of the router, that will go a long way!

I have seen many cases where the problem was as simple as a mistake in the subnet mask on the client or the router.

-Brian-
Semper Paratus

I tried just about everything. I could not ping anything, the wireless recognised the network, but would not connect. I kept getting error messages leading to the corrupted file.
I finally resolved the issue by totally reloading Windows XP all over again. That cost me a lot of hassles, but it's up and running again.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I tried a few but nothing worked. I HAD to get back online to do my job, so it became a matter of whatever works and that turned out to be a reinstall.

We are sorry you could not post the results of ipconfig /all without a re-install of XP, it must have been WAY fouled up.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

From (faulty) memory, the first few lines from ipconfig/all were the correct addresses, but everything below the first few lines was empty.

the 1394 Connection was never connected to anything.
Rest assured, next time I will contact this site FIRST.
Thanks for the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back