Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot close internet explorer 6??

Status
Not open for further replies.

George54

MIS
Nov 4, 2002
GB
I am using IE V6.0.2800 with only one problem .
When i go to close the web pages, no matter which way i try to close the pages they will not shut down and i am having to use the TASK MANAGER to do the job.This results in all pages closing it is annoying when i am working on a subject and have to open everthing up again ..??
has anyone had the same problem and can it be fixed!!!

Is it just related to one site and links from that page or is it with all sites you visit?

It may relate to the code of the web page itself that prevents you closing. This is often seen in some sites where you close one page and another opens, or the "x" is missing from corner, or page is bigger than your screen etc.

Assuming the problem is with your IE6.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)

From the web.
"The ability to Repair Internet Explorer does not exist in the version that ships with Windows XP. This feature only becomes available after you upgrade to a newer version. This is normal and has been this way since Windows 98 and IE4. However, you can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

You will need to have your XP CD available

I learned using SFC /Scannow at the command prompt will help in repairing IE."

227992 - Internet Explorer Errors Close All Open Internet Explorer Windows

No.. it is not relatated to any one site. it is the page as a whole that will not close all i can do is press the "X" in the corner and i get a windows beep sound.
Some pages randomly close and some dont when i try to shut them down .
Also trying to open pages, they sometimes stay at the bottom of the screen and when i try to open them they shoot to the right and then bounce back to the bottom of the screen because they wont open to my screen. I can only sort this out by re-booting and trying again most times succesfully (untill the next time!!).
I am sure these actions seem to be related to my Internet Explorer.I will try your suggestions and hope for the best!

I have had similar problems and found it to be bad memory. Replace or isolate your memory chip(s) and try again.

Best wishes,

Will

Try the repair options and let us know how it goes.

You have run a virus scanner with up to date definitions?

Spybot

Ad-aware

Will check your computer for spyware and adware.

You can run diagnostic tests on your browser here.

As per "blessings" post you can run diagnostic tests on your RAM here.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back