Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Change Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

robrichardson

Programmer
Mar 14, 2001
GB
We've recently installed a W2K server, using AD. When users attempt to change their password (CTRL+ALT+DEL, "Change Password") they get the following error message:

"Cannot Change password at this time".

Its slightly worrying as when they log on they are told their password will expire in 11 days!!

Any ideas?

I know there is a setting that limits how often a user can change there password. You may be requiring them to change there password every 30 days but not allowing them to change it more than once every 45 days. This just a guess.

Are they changing thier domain password? In NT, this is often a result of the PDC being unavailable- the BDC cannot make a change to a password since it does not control the SAM. If you upgraded to 2000 you may want to look at the relationship between your AD domain controller and any NT BDC's on the network to ensure they are communicatiing correctly (assuming you still have NT BDC's running).

I am having the same problem with my 98 clients, they cannot change the passwords, and they get access denied errors. I have enabled "allow to change password" in the group policy, added the 9x client for active directory, gone over the policy 20 times, without finding any noticable problems? Is it even possible for a 98 machine to change a password on a win2k domain server. by the way, it is the only DC on the network.

thanks,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back