Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot change password in Win2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syky

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2003
IE
Hi There!
We are running win2000 Pro,srvpck3 on desktops.But verification(PDC) is still windows NT 4.0 server.And when system is requiring to change password(according to our standards,XXdays) user cannot to do so!Getting message like:they don't have rights to change password. User has power user rights on local machine!
Can someone help me, how to deal with this problem?
Many thx.
Syky

Syky

I know it may sound stupid but on the 2k box under advanced user management is the user cannot change password option checked?

Well, user has poweruser rights and this is almost as administrator. When I checked that in advanced,user is not under users folder.User is under groups folder, in power user group....

Syky

If this is NT server domain, then bonehead569's suggestion - but in User manager on the NT server box might be worth checking.

This is Windows NT domain and everything is managed correctly.Also "user cannot change password" option is not checked.This was the 1st option,that I checked, when I met this problem......

Syky

Log in first with old password, then CNTRL-ALT-DEL and click change password. You have to authenticate first for it to work. Stupid I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back