Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot change folder attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrgrassi

MIS
Feb 5, 2004
US
Hello,

I have a 2003 server that I cannot remove folder/file attribute read only. The check mark is grayed out. When I click on it, it does remove the chack mark, go throught the motion on removing the attribute. When done, if you refresh, the gray check mark is back.

This is happening on a new shared folder, and all users are getting a "read only" message when they try to update. All permissions are set to allow read, write, modify, etc.

I tried the MS "workarounds". Still same issue.

rrgrassi

Are you trying to make the changes from your machine or the server? If from the server, are you logged on as you, or an Admin account?

I'm logged in as the admin.

Turns out this is a "by design" by Microsoft. It's all working now...after two calls to MS.

Thanks!

rrgrassi

This applies to Win2003 SP2. The hotfix supplied was "too old"

Basically have to give all groups full control of the folder without the advanced allow/deny permissions.

MS says it's for better security.

rrgrassi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back