Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot change Administrator to a Guest on domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikky

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
US
For security reasons, I want to make my default Administrator a Guest account on my win 2000 domain controller. But I cannot do that nor can I disable the account. The system tells me "cannot perform that operation on a built-in account". I can change password and rename the administrator account, but I can't disable it or reduce it to guest type.

Does anyone understand why ?

Administrator account can just be renamed.
So,.. i don't see the problem.
Rename it. Then create a new account naming it Administrator.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Hi,

I have been asked to rename the Domain Administrator account and then to disable it, creating a new Administrator Account to use. The idea being Security in Obscurity. These "sounds" straightforward, however, what should I plan for...has anyone done this before, if so did you have any problems.

Before I attempt anything I need to plan and discuss issues, so any help would be appreciated greatly.

By the way, I am not an IT/Network Administrator I work in our Support team but get sent to do this stuff too!!

Thanks in advance...HereAgain

I may be mistaken but I don't think you can disable the administrator account. I don't think you can rename it to guest either. Do you have any trouble renaming it to anything besides guest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back