Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Browse workgroup from different subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeneuneu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2004
BE
Hello all,

I've got a strange thing in the lan. I added a new server in the subnet A . This one has to browse the entire network to manage a new system on all windows workstations.
However, i can see everyone in the subnet A (normal), but cannot see no one in the subnet B. When i ping the name, it resolves without problems.
I try to nat, but doesn't affect.

How is possible to active the "browseable thing"?

Thnx in advance,

abeu

You don't say how the firewall is configured or what the topology of the network is.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Indeed, i think i forgot :)

From the firewall i can browse what i want, there is no problem. Subnet A has all rights to access to the subnet B.
Subnet B has no right except some things for mysql etc..
I tried to add the netbios in the adress translation table, i tried a lot of things, but it doesn't work.

Are you using Nat on both networks to the outside world?
if so it may be worth trying a manual NAT rule between the two so that it doesnt try and NAT ip addresses when communicating between the two internl networks

Still don't understand your setup. Is this firewall just between 2 subnets, and not on the Internet? Not using a VPN? Are you using workgroups, or are you on a domain? (If on a domain - NT4 or Windows 2000?)

"browsing" across subnets does not work. "Browsing" uses broadcasting - which does not traverse subnets. I assume you can browse both networks on the firewall because the firewall is on both subnets.

You need to setup a WINS server to use "browsing" between subnets.

Browsing is going away anyway, Windows 2000 and XP use DNS to find other computers on the domain (in an Active Directory domain anyway)

____|____
|router |
|_________|
|
____|_______
| fw 4.1 |
|____________|
| | |
| | |
A B C

A schema is more comprehensive.

I added a new server in the subnet C, wich one has to browse subnet A and B. Of course, there is no problem to browse the subnet B.
There is actually no domain at all, it is only a workgroup. There is a vpn from outside, but it doesn't affect this situation.
All packets goes trough the firewall.
Broadcast is of course not routable, but as the fw has access on all subnet, i was thinking at something like "i send the request to the fw, it browse itself and send back the infos". I will install a wins if it can solve the problem.

Thnx all for your precious answers :)

"i send the request to the fw, it browse itself and send back the infos".

The firewall is not a WINS server itself and so you will have to install a WINS server in order to do this.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

If your running win2k or above onthe server, you'll need to allow the SMB protocol from subnet to subnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back