Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot browse to links and some web sites 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

msammut

MIS
Jan 6, 2003
CA
I use Rogers High Speed cable to connect. I can browse to most web sites. But a lot give me 'the page cannot be displayed' message, although they come up fine on the other networked computers. For instance, I can go to just fine. When I click on 'order now' to order the services I get 'The page cannot be displayed'. Yet when I try on another computer it is possible. This problem is consistent with this computer only. Also, upon startup, MSN will prompt for a login, but regardless of correct login information, I can never log in. It always fails. Again, it is fine on any other computer. I have removed and reinstalled IE6. Still no help. Any ideas on what else I can try?

Forgot to mention I'm on Windows XP Home with 256mb Ram, Gigs of disk space available, Internet Expolorer 6.02. I have three computers ethernet networked. The other 2 computers browse beautifully. Perhaps it is a virus. I am using PCillin. Is there an online checker that will not only check but clean viruses?

You may want to try scanning with adaware and spybot to see what you come up with. Most virus programs wont catch spyware installed on your computer...

Here are some free online virus scanners faq760-3862, but I suspect that's not your problem.

More likely, you are experiencing one of the Secure Site problems that are fairly common. If my guess is correct, you should find your answer somewhere within one of these threads or the included links.

thread608-757907
thread608-537624
thread608-614334

Thank you everyone for replying. Again you have proven your amazing technical abilities. I checked date & time and also virus checked which was okay. But the problem was still there. Then I visited the threads SMAH suggested. The one that did help me was at I followed the troubleshooting directions carefully and upon reboot, MSN logged in and I was able to access web sites that previously would not display the page. Thanks to you all.

msammut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back