Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Browse peer to peer network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mardawg

MIS
Jul 13, 1999
US
I am attempting to set up a peer to peer network with 1 NT Workstation as a file server and a mixture of Windows95 and 98 machines.<br><br>The network cards are 3com 3c509b tx.<br>They are installed and seem to be working properly.<br><br>I am attempting to use TCP/IP as my protocol.<br><br>I have Checked and rechecked all of the network settings and I am unable to find any differences.&nbsp;&nbsp;The workgroup names are the same the ip addresses are sequential the subnet masks are all the same.<br><br>When I log on to a client machine I am able to ping every Ip address on the network. Including my own and the loopback.<br><br>Even so I am unable to open network neighborhood and see any of the client machines.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can not use the run command to open a network share either.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have tried different nics, and I have disabled tcp/ip and attempted to use NetBEUI all to no avail.<br><br>From a command prompt if I use the net view command I receive error 6118 the computers sharing resources on this network can not be reached.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is an article in tech net referencing a hot fix for this situation but even after I have applied the hot fix the same situation exists.<br><br><br>I am out of ideas and I need some help.<br>

Mardawg - Have you:<br><br>Double checked everyone is part of the same workgroup?<br><br>File and print sharing for MS turned on (each PC)?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, check LMAnnounce & Browse Master settings.<br><br>NT Workstation's login is to the Workgroup, instead of to itself.<br><br>Hope this helps ~

Thanks Ripper it at least allows me to clarify further.<br><br>Everyone is a part of the same workgroup.&nbsp;&nbsp;File and print sharing is turned on.&nbsp;&nbsp;shares have been created for testing.&nbsp;&nbsp;Browse master has been disabled on the Windows9x machines(except for when I tested without the NT Workstation I set one machine as the browse master), and I am unsure of what the setting should be for LM Announce.<br><br>I am unsure of the NT Workstation login but I am thinking that that would not matter for the test of when I took it out of the picture and I am still unable to have a peer to peer with only the Windows9x machines.

Mardawg -<br><br>Here are some things I would try at this point:<br><br>Grab a cup a coffee, then. . . <br><br>Remove everything except 2 of your 95/98 PCs.&nbsp;&nbsp;This alone removes many variables.&nbsp;&nbsp;Establish the most basic peer-2-peer you can.&nbsp;&nbsp;Test it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Keep the NT off until last.&nbsp;&nbsp;Continue to add your 95/98 clients (assuming the first 2 connected worked).&nbsp;&nbsp;If not, trouble shoot the 2 PCs rather than all of'em.<br><br>Ensure your connected to direct ports on your hub/switch (not the X-MDI port or daisy-chain port usually.)&nbsp;&nbsp;Double check your CAT V/cabling.<br><br>Coffee cup should be empty by now . . . refill!<br><br>Hope it helps!<br><br>:)

I have an update to the issue the problem appears to be solved but I do not understand what happened.<br><br>Having exhausted every avenue I could come up with at the office I decided to try something a little different.<br><br>I set up a 2 node network at my house using the identical configuration as what I was using at the office.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once I got that working I took it all down and packed it up.&nbsp;&nbsp;I took the hub, the cables, and both computers into the office and set them up again at the office.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once I got them working I began to work the other computers into the new network and they worked.<br><br>Once I had them all working on this network I took the cables out of my hub and put thewm into the appropriate hub.&nbsp;&nbsp;THEY STILL WORKED!!!!!!!!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;Then I switched the cables from my cables to the office's cables.&nbsp;&nbsp;THEY STILL WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;I took the two computers I brought from home out of the network and rebooted all of the remaining computers.&nbsp;&nbsp;THEY STILL WORKED!!!!!!!!!!<br><br>When I tried this latest experiment I made no changes to the existing computers and everything works now so as far as I am concerned the problem is solved but the mystery is much deeper.&nbsp;&nbsp;Anyone have any ideas?

I have the exact same mystery going on. It is quite frustrating. One day all pc's work and see the network, the next day 2 or 3 won't see anything and then fix themselves over the weekend.
I would really like to know what is causing this. The department that this happens in is starting to think I don't know what I'm doing.
Pleas let me know if you hear any more on the subject. Thanx,
Eric

Got this from MS Knowledgebase

Check the Master Browse Server

Verify that the master browse server is functioning correctly by typing the following command at an MS-DOS prompt
net view /workgroup:<wkgrp_name>
where <wkgrp_name> is the name of your workgroup. If your workgroup name contains spaces, enclose the workgroup name in quotation marks. For example, if your workgroup name is My Workgroup, type the following line:
net view /workgroup:&quot;My Workgroup&quot;
This command retrieves a browse list from the master browse server. If you cannot retrieve a browse list from the master browse server, one of the following problems may exist on the network:
A backup browse server is not functioning correctly.

A backup browse server does not have an updated browse list. Retrieving an updated browse list can take up to 15 minutes.

NOTE: If a computer is removed from the network before the computer is logged off the network, it may take up to 51 minutes for that computer to be removed from the browse list.
Step 6: Verify That the Browse Server Is Available
If your network includes computers that are frequently powered off or removed from the network (such as mobile computers), it is a good idea to disable browse server duties on these computers. To disable browse server duties on a Windows 95-based computer, follow these steps:
Use the right mouse button to click Network Neighborhood, and then click Properties on the menu that appears.

On the Configuration tab, click the File And Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks component, and then click Properties.

In the Property box, click Browse Master, and then click Disabled in the Value box.

Click OK.

NOTE : At least one computer in each workgroup must have the ability to become the master browse server. If browse server capability is disabled on all the computers in a network, browse functionality is disabled. A network storm will ensue as clients will be unable to locate the browse master and will force an election.

I think I fixed it. I removed from 3 different pc's that could not see the network (at least not today), 2 smc nics and one 3com nic. I replaced them with netgear nics (that's what is installed on a pc that has not had problems seeing the network), and bam! they all see the network now. With the other cards, the network blindness was intermittant, now with the netgear cards I have not had a problem yet.
Not to praise one card over another, but whatever works!

More of a need to have all from one manufacturer. If you mix 'em you get these types of problems. Not always, but enough that I preach it. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I had similar problem. able to ping, but can not see other systems on network neighbourhood. problem started once i meddled with the IP addresses and related stuff, though they are all correct. in dos prompt, net view command was failing also saying, one need to login first.

the fix which is working for me is reinstalling the &quot;Client for Microsoft Networks&quot; in the &quot;network neighbourhood&quot; properties. if one needs, steps are given below.

1) remove the &quot;client for Microsoft Networks&quot;
2) add the same (&quot;Client for Microsoft Networks&quot; ) by clicking on &quot;Add&quot;, then double click on &quot;Client&quot;, then &quot;Microsoft&quot;, then double click on &quot;Client for Microsoft Networks&quot; .
3) restart the system.

now one shud be able to see other system on the network.
hope this helps

Im having something id say almost similar. My company is logging on to a novel server. All other PC's can Log on and see the workgroup Computers just fine. However! This one Win98 PC refuses to bring up the browse list in the network Neighbourhood. Though it can Log on to the novel server. Workgroup has been checked and doublechecked, IP Address is in sequence and is the only one on the network or someone would be complaining by now. Im also able to Ping our servers and other PC's in the workgroup. Ive removed all network settings and reinstalled them but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back