Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot browse Internet, Pings work! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zycmi

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2002
CA
When I try to access the internet, it gives me a DNS error/page cannot be reached page. I tried to ping and an unknown host error appeared. however, when I typed in the actual IP address for Google.ca, (216.239.39.10) I would get a reply.
My LAN is connected through a couple of hubs, and a Cable/DSL Router. The 2 machines that this happens to both run windows 98. I am using DHCP as well as dynamic IP Addressing. I have also tried configuring the LAN settings in internet explorer to no avail.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this? thanks.

Sounds like you have a DNS server problem. Ensure your workstations have a valid DNS server address for host name resolutions. Also ensure you don't have a (either local or router based) firewall blocking port 53 for your DNS lookup queries david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Well, there is no firewall blocking port 53, however I'm unsure how to configure the DNS Server addresses....

in the TCP/IP Properties, Disable DNS is selected, would it have to do with this? how do I set it up properly?

Thanks

You can do this two ways...

1. Input the proper entry in the DHCP setup so the system will obtain the proper DNS entry from the DHCP server

2. Enable DNS on the local workstation (the enable DNS tab) and input the DNS entries that your ISP has provided you.

In order for you to resolve host names to ip addresses you need to have some sort of DNS resolution for the local workstations. david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

See the thread started by darrendiego on 6/11 for a good discussion of similar problems. Solutions are available there.

I have found a solution to my own problem,
Simply to advise others who may have the same problem in the future, this is for them.

The cause was, that Winsock 2 on my computer has, in some way, become corrupt, and thus prevents the use of DNS information.

A repair patch exists to fix this problem at:

Run the file from the local hard drive and the 'Net will be up and running in no time!

Zycmi

Thanks a million for that link! I was going nuts trying to figure this out. I hadn't even noticed the DNS side of it until I saw your post; I checked, and sure enough, my situation was the same. Winsock2fix solved it completely.

Bill

Thanks for the tip. I just wasted 2 days trying to resolve the same problem and was on the verge of reinstalling Win98SE software!!

you can also do it without the little proggie, goto - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ - and delete the winsock and winsock2 keys and also goto - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Vxd and delete the winsock keys their too. then remove tcp/ip from networking (that would be ALL instances) reboot and reinstall tcp/ip - reboot again and you'll be up and running. this can sometimes impress people who have no clue as to what you are doing! as a side note i sometimes see this happen alot with systems that have AOL on it.

I just discovered a similar problem recently with my Linksys cable router. Repowering the Linksys fixes my problem temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back