Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot browse files on cd or dvd disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

H82bu

MIS
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi All,

I've never seen this before. I installed a new Dell E510 for a customer last night. I put my cd of goodies to install in the drive but cannot view the files. I was able to copy all the contents to desktop and install from there but when I click on the drive in explorer it just goes back to the directory I was just at. I tried the office 2000 disk and it would auto start the install but could not browse in explorer. Is there a setting somewhere or perhaps something wrong with drive?

Thanks for any help!

Eddie

When you made the cd's did you did you set access for any cd
unit or just a cd-rw ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I didn't set access for the cd when i created it and I can browse it everywhere I've tried it. I was only able to get the data off my cd by right clicking on the drive and selecting copy and then paste to desktop. All the files were there and installed fine.

The office 2000 cd started right up with auto run and installed fine. I couldn't browse the original office 2000 disk either.

See if these help.

CD not displaying files in explorer?
thread779-869079

Autoplay Repair Wizard
The Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard scans your computer devices to find defective AutoPlay settings, and attempts to fix those it finds.

Try the AutoFix.exe:

Thes next couple of links talk about locking access to drives in Explorer.

311455 - You Cannot View the Files on a Disc After You Replace a CD-R or CD-RW Drive with a DVD or CD-ROM Drive

320553 - CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP

How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM Drive Problems in Windows XP (Q314096)

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs

Q308012 Resources for Troubleshooting DVD Problems in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back