Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgundave

Programmer
Sep 17, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I have just put together a new pc and am having a few issue.

The first time i swiched on the machine all went well and win xp started to install. Unfortunatly the power was cut and the computer shut down as the hard drive was formatting.

Now, when I boot the machine I receive error "operating system error".

I have tried a boot disk to help me to load the operating system athough this has failed. How can I get my pc's hard drive back to its original state to enable me to install an operating system.

Any help would be more than appreciated.

Well XP is bootable so set the first boot device in the bios as CDrom, it should load tools/drivers etc and eventually take you to an format screen, do a quick format NTFS then setup on partition (you have partitioned the drive already?)
If it won't boot from CDrom you could try using the hard drive manufactures own hard drive utility software , available free from there site, make a bootable floppy, again set first boot device in bios to floppy etc
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

If it wont let you load the OS the partition table was probably destroyed. I'd do exactly what paparazi suggests, except make sure you delete the partition on that partitioning screen, delete it and create a new one. It will be just like if you were using FDISK. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Hi Guys,

I have followed your instructions and resolved the issue.

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back