Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot boot from hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekrat

Programmer
Feb 17, 2003
CA
I hardly even do Windows 2000 support do I'm a bit lost

A client of mine had a working win 2000 professional machine that needs some work - in order to be safe and to provide more capacity I did a disk clone onto a larger drive.

The existing system has two drives. I used Acronix disk director (running from the CD in Linux) to clone the first drive [single partition] onto a new drive.

The second drive was not backed up or altered and is using dynamic drive support.

The new drive was then placed as the first drive and the old drive removed. The system would not boot - just a simple message about no drives. I put the original drive back, removed the new drive and it no longer booted.

After some playing around, I found if the machine is started with the win2000 install CD in place, then it starts and all is fine.

I played with recover console and fixmbr does not fix anything. Fixboot does not fix anything, but actually corrupted the drive - addding a bucnh of empty space at the start of the drive,and adding two new partions, one cryptic and one labelled Novell.

I went back and recloned the old drive for some reason this did not work quite as nicely as the first time, and gave me an NTLDR error, recovery console fixmbr -- took care of that, but I still need the win2k setup CD in the drive in order to boot.

Did you check boot.ini file if it is pointing to the correct drive/partition?

Good luck.

Yes as far as I can tell, from having the client check it over the phone.

dumb question but did you change the jumpers on the drives, enter the BIOS check the drive is Primary master, F10 and exit?

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back