Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot backup Virtual Server Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Till

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2001
CH
Maybe someone knows a solution for this :

We have a Cluster consisting of two W2K Servers running
a Oracle 8.x Database on the Virtual Server. We have created client ressources for both of the physical nodes
with the saveset `All´.
The Oracle Module is installed on both nodes also. But
when we run a scheduled backup the server returns the
Do we have to create a client ressource for the virtual server also ? And what happens to the running database
if Legato tries to back it up ?

Yes you have to create a client for the virtual node. To configure a NetWorker cluster client:
1) Install NetWorker client package on all physical nodes.
2)Create a NetWorker client for each physical and virtual node.
3)Configure the save set attribute for each client.
4)Edit the remote access field of the virtual node to include each physical node within the cluster.

If you backup a running (hot) database the backup is no good unless you use the Oracle Business Suite Module (Legato). Will not hurt the database but recovery is impossible. Otherwise back the database up "cold" while it is not running.

You can back up an Oracle database while it is running if you put the tablespace in backup mode (alter tablespace <tablespace name> begin/end backup;)You can then backup the database with Legato then restore the database files when needed. I use this procedure along with EMC Mirrorview and Snap view. I put the tablespaces in backup mode, create the snap sessions and release the tablespaces, then do the backup of the snap. I can then restore the database to the original client and do a recover database command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back