Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot backup Exchange 2003 mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisasterGirl

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
US
I'm running BE 9.1, backing up a remote Exchange 2003 server. When I set up a job to backup the individual mailboxes, whether it be only 10 or 780, the job says running, but it has not opened a single mailbox to read. At one point in time, I actually got it to run, however, they did something to the server, now it doesn't run if you try to backup 1 mailbox. I have done a test run on the mailbox jobs and they run successfully. 10 mailboxes would backup in 7 minutes, now if I try to run it, it will be running 9 hours later when I get to work. I don't understand why this is happening? The Information store, public folders are all running with no problems. Anyone have a clue? thanks!

yes, we did. We migrated from 5.5 to a 2003 clustered environment.

There are issues with backup exec backing up mailboxes which have been migrated from 5.5 to a 2003 clustered environment - it just don't work when selecting every mailbox - you get exactly the same symptoms as what you have - the job hangs.

From what I can tell, no work around for it at the moment.

Just have to wait for a fix or workaround to be posted.

Thanks, Justin, that helps alot! Thanks for the info!

You know, after I thanked you, I was thinking, that it doesn't matter if I select a few mailboxes or the whole org. Like I said, at one point it worked...a few mailboxes...then all of a sudden it doesn't work again. I have no clue what they tweaked, because I'm not physically on location with the servers. It is just plain frustrating. I'm still wondering if GFI MailSecurity isn't part of the problem. *sigh*

There is a school of thought which say "why backup mailboxes ?"

We just backup the store and have longer retention times.
such as save dleted item 2 months, save deleted mailboxes 2 month.

hi
Try to start your backup with out the single instance option check. that could help.
also
split you rob in many parts. at least if some are working it will be easy to recover. Split also the Information Stroe backup and the mailboxe backup.

Thanks, Lachimere. I don't have the single instance option checked. Never made it that far. :) Actually, I couldn't even get one mailbox to back up. Right now, I'm working with Veritas TS and one mailbox is working while running the debugger. Figures. Oh well, I hope we can resolve this puppy soon.

thank you everyone for their help. Veritas did say they had some issues with this but of course they need the details to tell me if I'm having one of their 'issues'.

thanks again!

im having the same problem
But i find out if i clear the selection from the mailbox that hangs the job continous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back