Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot back up Public Folders or Mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reemes

Technical User
Aug 8, 2001
GB
Please help! I am running 2003 sbs and backup exec 9.1 for small business.

When I try to check the box to back up Exchange Mailboxes or Exchange Public Folders then I get a message that says that logging on as the System Account failed and that Access is denied. I am logging on as Administrator and can see no reason or permissions that would not allow me access to this.

Thanks

Not sure about backup exec but most backup agents for XC seem to need send as / receive as permissions in the Exchange org.
I'd set up a separate backup account with those permissions and use that account for the job.
System account has no real rights within Exchange only to W2003.

When we set up the BE Agent for Exchange 2003 we installed it as the Exchange service account. We did not run into an access problem then.

This is most likely a permissions issue. Ensure that the account for Backup Exec is an Exchange Full Admin and a Backup Operator.

<signature sold subject to contract>

If I remember correctly by default the XC service account does not get send as / receive as permissions.
Try giving it these permissions at the XC org. level and see if it makes a difference.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back