Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot assign a specific printer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAES

Technical User
Jul 25, 2004
GB
I just recently updated to Access 2007 and it now seems that I can't change the specific printer in reports. I have a few reports that I want to print to WinPDF but when I make the changes in the report it doesn't save them. I don't get any errors, it just doesn't save the change.

Any known problems?

Jeff

I have not used Access 2007 much. Since no one else has answered, I have to ask, you do know you have to save the report after changing the default printer to get it to persist?

lameid. sorry I didn't get back to you. I didn't see a response and forgot to check back. Yes, I'm saving the report. Even if I save, and don't leave the report, the printer is back to the original one when I check it again. I've never had this problem in Access 2002 or 2003.

Will it work with other pritners?

Just another option for skinning the cat... There is support for making a PDF natively in Access 2007 if you download the add in from Microsoft. I'm trying to rememver how it works... I think you can just export to PDF.

It won't work with any of the printers I'm trying to change it to. It will always change back to printing from the "default" printer. I also use page setup to choose which paper tray to print various reports to so the PDF issue is only one of the problems.

It is all reports, not just one. Something is amiss somewhere. I'm back on the problem and will continue searching for an explination Friday.

Thank you for your interest.

Jeff

Ps. I turned my e-mail notification back on!!

I found a post in an MS Newsgroup and it is a bug.

They recomend setting the printer programitcally and reference for example.

Also changing the papersize was mentioned...

I can't recall the specifics, but it seems there were problems with that
approach, particularly if the margins were the issue. The alternative would
be to open the report in design view, and set the properties through PrtMip,
but that's quite messy. Here's a starting point if you want to investigate
that:

Post referenced here...

Also it lists Allen Browne as the contributor for the information I referenced.

Just one more reason to solidify my position to wait to move to Access 2007.

Thank you jkl0 and lameid. Although frustrating and unacceptable that Access 2007 has such a major flaw it is of some relief that is wasn't just me! Lucky for me I haven't switched any of the applications over to Access 2007. I'll reload 2003 and consider the expense of 2007 as another reminder of why I hate Microsoft. Do you know if Microsoft has acknowledged this problem yet?

Jeff

Does anyone know if theres a fix out there for this problem?
Just got noticed on this little nice bug and its a huge one for me, dont wanna do a vba fix for every report I´ve done and what I could tell theres problem with the papersize as well.

Would love any "easy" fix or info on the status of this problem.

//Mike, Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back