Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Add Computer to Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

briancox86

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2008
US
I am trying to add a computer to a Server 2003 AD Domain.
I had to reinstall the OS because of an issue on the client. The client is XP SP3 fully patched running Symantec AV and FW. Server is Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 Fully Patched.

I have tried everything I can think of. I am at my wits end and under the gun from my boss. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I get the following errors when I try to add the XP computer to the domain:

======================================================
Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name <domainname> might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain <domainname>:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.<domainname>

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

<domainname>
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
======================================================

By the way the server is doing the following:

DNS
DHCP
WINS
File Server
Print Server
Domain Controller

Ill get you what ever diagnostics you want.

What is your domain naming convention? Is is just a name with no extention? or is it a domain.local, domain.com?

Try turning off your XP firewall and if your SAV has a built in firewall turn it off as well. Verify the Server firewall is not on as well.

I think the user account for joining the AD do not have necessary permission in computer Folder at AD, you may manually delete the computer object in computer folder at AD and try to join the computer again.

Porkchop

CISSP
MCITP : Enterprise Administrator

I turned off Windows and SAV FW. It added to the domain just fine. I guess I need to figure the FW out a bit better. Thabk you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back