Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot acess files with 2000 VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

racer514

Technical User
Apr 16, 2001
US
Hello,
I have been having fairly decent success with VPN lately but just cannot seem to conquer it.
I have tried using Sonicwall's VPN client with some success
and now am trying to make Win2k's VPN work better than the Sonicwall version did.
This is the problem:
With either VPN's I can get and see a connection, ping anywhere I need, access the exchange server and get mail, and even browse the network and see machines.
Where the problem starts is when I actually try to access a machines I can see in Network Places. I cannot access the servers' (yes they have shared resources) files and directories. I am concentrating on the Win2K solution at the moment. When I try this from home (Win2k Pro on a cable connection) I can again, get mail, see everything, etc, but not access the files. It returns an error saying; "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request." My 2000 VPN connection is setup to log onto a domain and I assume it is authenticating or I wouldn't be able to get my mail and see around the network.
The other thing that was strange. I thought maybe my machine at home (where I tried this first) should be changed to the domain name of our company so I attempted (while connected to the VPN) to change the domain name. While it did take my usernane and password for the person who can add machines to the domain, it did not find a server to authenticate, thus failing to change the machine to the domain. My boss was able to change his home machine to log onto our domain but still could not access the files.
When I came in this morning after being away for a week my boss and I tried it together on a laptop that has been a member of the network before this and we were able to access the files! Horay, success!!!! The only thing I can think of is that the laptop had a cached account from previously logging onto the domain when it is here at the office. ( I always log onto the domain with it, whether I am connected or not)
As of now the VPN is usefull for mail (very important) but I canot make full use of the file access privelages that it should. The laptop is OK but does everyone have to bring in their machines to join the domain in the office and get a cach account started to ba able to make use.
Any help would be much appreciated.
This is long winded but I see a lot of threads that the helper has to ask so many questions before any answers.

This will do the trick :

Make sure the name of the workgroup of your remote client matches the name of the domain,
add a computer account for each remote client,
accessing shares & files will require you to provide a username and password :

use DOMAIN\Username & Password to log on.

In order to see computers on the other network, you will have to stop the browser on the VPN server
I have not failed, I just found 10000 ways that don't work

Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Did this post help ? Click below to let me know ;-)

For everyone reading.......This works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stopping the Browser Service on the VPN server allowed me to see (or browse our internal network) and when accessing a share on that network when prompted for a user name and password, when I put in the username and password it would not authenticate. Now, thanks to Peter, if I enter it in the format as he said; domain\username and password I can access any shares I have permission to.
Thanks Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back