Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access Vista Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

UUVGuy

Technical User
Jun 4, 2005
US
Upon reinstalling Vista on another HD due to a catastrophic boot failure, the new install won't let me access the old drive. I CAN access it with XP Home but, I have some encrypted files I would like to recover and XP Home doesn't do encryption. I have managed to salvage just about everything else but I was wondering how to recove the ecncrypted files since I can't move them as move access is denied as well.

Thanks

u need to be admin and take ownership on the files/folders in question 2 copy them

if u dont have the recoveryagent certificate as an backup u wont be able to decrypt the files

How do you take ownership of the drive?
I have admin right currently and I have gone into to the properties window for the drive and attempted to give both System and my login full permissions on the drive to no avail. If I can get into the drive, I can find the cert.

in explorer, right click drive, properties, security, advanced, owner, choose take over objekt and subfolders

If you do not have the encryption key or a preconfigured recovery agent, you won't be able to decrypt the files.

I have taken ownership of the drive and it still says access denied. I have given the administrator account full permissions and still denied.

I have the key for the encrypted files so once I get them copied over, I should be able to resave them once I get the drive cloned.

You might have to take ownership of every folder (file) individually. I find quite often doing the one folder and taking ownership doesnt seem to work quite as it should.

What version of Vista are you using?

EFS, Credentials, and Private Keys from Certificates Are Unavailable After a Password Is Reset

Recover encrypted files or folders

Create a recovery certificate for encrypted files

tlcousin,
The problem is that I can't even get into the individual files in order to take ownership. The drive says I have ownership but still won't let me access it in Vista although when running XP, I can access it just fine except for the encrypted files of course.

Maybe you are seeing a problem in passing down the Inheritance from C: drive to the Child folders?

How inheritance affects file and folder permissions

How far can you dive down into the sub-folders on C:drive before you hit the access denied snag? Can you change the access permissions at that point and press on?

I finally gave up and cloned my reinstalled Vista over it. There were really only a few files that were encrypted and I decided I could live without them. Some I can recreate without too much trouble. I've learned the hard way that I have to back things up. I've never had this much trouble before but I now have a large external hard drive for backup purposes now. Thanks for all your help and suggestions all.

If you're going to use EFS in the future, create a Recovery Certificate before you need it see the link that linney posted above.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision. I have definitely learned my lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back