Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot access the internet and cannot ping to DNS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
I have a laptop running win982nd with Microsoft Network and Novell Client and access the internet through DSL router. All of the sudden, my internet access stopped working. The configuration is correct. I reinstalled all of network components, reinstalled NIC, tried different NIC, and even reinstalled Win982nd. I tried to access a website with its ip address but that didn't work. I can ping to the loopback address, another client on my network, exchange server, and the gateway. I cannot ping to the DNS server and I get " destination host unreachable " error. I tried tracert but could not trace. I'm the only one on the network with this problem. This is driving me crazy so please help!! Janny
Network Administrator
jcha@ArkionLS.com

Speak to your Network Administrator!! OOOOhhhhh .... you ARE the Network Administrator!!! Bugger!!

Sounds like a very strange problem to me! You can ping another host on your network and the gateway. You can basically ping everything inside your network but nothing outside! Have you checked to make sure that your gateway address is set up in your TCP/IP properties! I'm sure that you will have checked this but I have to ask anyway! It's easy to overlook the simple things. Did this myself recently!

Chris.

Speak to your Network Administrator!! OOOOhhhhh .... you ARE the Network Administrator!!! Bugger!!

Sounds like a very strange problem to me! You can ping another host on your network and the gateway. You can basically ping everything inside your network but nothing outside! Have you checked to make sure that your gateway address is set up in your TCP/IP properties! I'm sure that you will have checked this but I have to ask anyway! It's easy to overlook the simple things. Did this myself recently LOL

Chris.

Sorry for the double post!! I thought that my laptop had frozen and bashed it!!

Having some technical issues B-(

Have you moved yout network connection to another port. Sounds strange however I have seen this before. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

The network settings are correct and I tried to use a different port but no luck.

I extracted wsock32.dll file and it started working. Unfortunately, it also locked up on me so I had to reboot. After that, it stopped working again. I tried to extract it again but didn't work that time. I am really stuck on this one!

Thanks for your response. Janny
Network Administrator
jcha@ArkionLS.com

ive read a past post regarding a similar problem, they resolved it by changing the bindings settings.

The "unreachable" error is a report from the router, right? as compared to a timeout, for example. Doesn't this indicate the router is telling you it has a problem, perhaps with your source address and its routing tables?

On your machine, could you temporarily adopt the IP numbers (address, mask, dns, gateway) of another machine that does get through? This test might at least narrow the problem to IP stuff or hardware/software stuff.

Keep on truckin'
Mike

The routing table was messed up. It's working again. Thanks for your help! Janny
Network Administrator
jcha@ArkionLS.com

Bump

What about when this is a direct connection either with cable or dialup. I've come across "cannot find server" or "destination host unreachable" a few times now and the only way I've been able to resolve it was to format. Just wondering if anyone else has resolved this issue, I'd love to hear it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back